Katie Diana....

Mrs. Vicki's Computer Classes use cutting edge technologies, wikis, blogs, and RSS feeds to learn about computer science, computer software, keyboarding, accounting, graphic design, and so much more!

teacher: Vicki A Davis

I agree that we are the web, but the web is also us. We are molding the web and we are changing it every day. We are changing everything about the web. We are linking computers to our lives. Computers and people are beginning to live symbiotic lives. We live off of the computer and the computer lives off of people.

Peripheral devices are essential for running the programs used in the Optometry industry. Mice, keyboards, and printers are used in the offices. Printers are used for printing diagnostic information and patient information and etc. The mice are used with the computers to select things on the computers. The keyboards are used to type diagnostic information and to enter new information for billing or diagnosis's.

Optometrists use optical storage, magnetic storage, and solid state storage. Optometrists use hard disks to store patient data. When a picture is taken with the “eye camera” it is sent to the whole computer database and can be accessed from any computer. A floppy disk, flash drive, or CD may be used to store information also.

I have learned through research on optometry that optometrists use many kinds of hardware through the eye examination process. The mostly use computers. Computers are used to store the data. Databases are made to store client information and etc. The computers are used to enter prescription data, payment data, and client data.

Optical hardware is also used. It is used to examine the eyes, take photos of the inside of the eyes, and test the eyes to check to see the prescription number. The examination equipment uses lights and storage devices to look inside and around the eye. A machine is also used to take pictures of the back of the eyeball to check for disease or buckles in the eye. The other machine they use you look into it and look at the Christmas tree in the background and it will measure your eyesight.

I think that the most important thing is about the things you can record on your ipod. It is a good idea because the auditory learners can study and learn things better. I personally learn from visual things but this is very good for people who need to learn auditory. It is also good when someone is absent and may need to get lecture notes from the day before. It is also good for when the teacher speaks too fast for the student to take notes, or if the teacher does not teach from the book. Overall I think that the podcasting for auditory learners is an excellent idea.

One of the ways that I think that Mrs. Vicki has kept up with the new Web 2.0 is www.solutionwatch.com. Another website she might use is www.bloglines.com to keep up with her blogs. The other website is possibly www.airset.com to keep up with anything she wants.

1) It talks about how some websites such as You Tube and MySpace have used copyrighted music. Both websites are trying to stop this illegal use of music. MySpace is blocking copyrighted music and it is also deleting profiles of “pirates.” Different people are doing everything they can do to stop the copyrighting of music.

2) Copyrighted music is music that has laws against stealing it. [LINK]

3)Myspace must take measures so that they will not get sued by the music industry to allowing copyrighting to go on. If they do not take these measures then they will come in contact with lawsuits.

4)MySpace users have the rights to their profile but if they are using it illegally or to do harm to people then Myspace should be able to delete their profile if they see justice in doing so.

Phishing is a criminal act. They try to get personal information such as credit card information, passwords, and etc. Phishing usually happens in emails or instant messages.

Pharming is an attack by a hacker that is aiming to redirect a website’s traffic to another website. The other website is usually fake. This can happen by exploiting a DNS server, servers are computers responsible for putting internet names into their addresses.

Both pharming and phishing are involved in credit card or identity stealing information.

Anti-phishing- this website contains recently sent emails with phishing scams enclosed.

Mozilla’s press release for the new version of Mozilla Firefox:

“Identity theft protection. In addition to its award-winning safeguards for blocking drive-by installation of spy ware and unwanted pop-up windows, Firefox 2 helps protect users from identity theft by quickly informing them when they surf to a questionable Web site. To protect users’ privacy, Phishing Protection is active by default with a local blacklist that updates hourly, rather than sending information to an external online service. An enhanced mode is available where users may optionally elect to have Firefox check the validity of Web sites with a third-party Web service, such as Google, prior to loading the site. Phishing Protection provides warnings, advice and guidance when Firefox encounters a Web site that appears to be fraudulent or malicious.” [LINK]

This Sunday is my sixteenth birthday. It does not feel like it is my birthday…it just feels like a group of girls are just coming over to my house to hang out. I usually feel different…it is weird. Will I feel like this for all of my birthday from here on out? I hope not. Usually birthdays are a time to celebrate your birth…but it just feels like just another weekend…I hope all birthdays are not like this…I will be sad.

“Plays Well with Others” is an excerpt from the book titled “The World is Flat” written by Thomas L. Friedman. This excerpt tells one that he or she needs to be a people person and like people. It explains that one needs to be able to manage people and have excellent people skills. One also needs to be able to interact with people. People skills are essential in success.

“Perhaps, contrary to what we have come to believe in recent years, people skills will become more valuable than computer skills. The geeks may not inherit the earth after all.”—Alan Blinder

This topic was interesting to me because it discusses how important it is to have superb people skills. To be “Mr. Successful” one needs to do as “Plays Well with Others” tells one to be. I utterly agree with the excerpt and I believe that one needs to adapt efficient people skills because one needs them to survive the business world of the successors.

I talked to my grandfather about this topic. His name is Adrian and he retired from Merck.

My grandfather wholly agreed with me on the correctness of this excerpt. He believes that people skills are only one of the things you need to be successful. He said that one would need people skills because to have a successful company or business, one would have employees so they would HAVE to be a people person.

This article will undeniably affect my future. I am a people person but I am shy. This article has given me the courage to take public communication type classes to get my people skills way up! I am glad I read this article and I might be unafraid to read the book when I am older.