Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Markwart Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Markwart -- Blogmeister

-

Image by FlamingText.com
Image by FlamingText.com

by Mrs. Markwart

ATHABASCA SCHOOL
LEADER POST
BEST PRACTICES
Digital Story Telling- Canoeing
Podcasting
Regina Public Schools
Funbrain
Cool Math 4 Kids
TELEMIRACLE
Australia - Ms. Ruskin's class
South Paris Classroom
New Zealand - Mrs. Kelso
Australia- Mrs. Lowe's Class
Jo Cool Cyber Tour
Connaught School
Mr. Daunis - Bridgeport -CT
Mr. Gonzalez's Class
LearningPlus
Cassidy
Dragon Bloggers
The 743 Blog Spot Mrs. Lubich's Class
Mrs Lowe's Area 11 Bloggers
Ms. Gidinski's class - B.C.
Ms. Casey's Class
Ms Smith's Class
Mrs. Seymour's 5/6 Class
One Million Acts of Green
Ms. Wood's Class
Ms Josephson's Class

Article posted April 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 111

Article posted October 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 135

I hope you are enjoying this session

Article posted August 28, 2009 at 05:22 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 145

Hello Dear Students!

It is hard to believe that the summer holidays are over and that we are all back at school. I miss you all too! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I am glad that you are having a great start to the new year! I am sure that you will love being in Mr A's class. Remember to work hard and give it your best! Please keep in touch and do not hestitate to e-mail!

Take care,

Mrs. M

Article posted April 24, 2009 at 04:03 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 180

Hello Class,

Happy Earth Day!

While you watch the video clips below I challenge you to create a list of wishes that you have for Earth. There are many wonderful things taking place on Earth but there are also many detrimental acts that are destroying our Earth. In the second video Severn Suzuki addressed the United Nations with her concerns about Earth and challenged them to think differently. I want you to take your list of wishes for the Earth and transform then into a persuasive letter addressed to the United Nations. In your letter I want you to explain your concerns, wishes and why you feel change is important. Be sure to give reasons for your concerns as that will put forth a better argument for change and make your letter more persuasive.

I can't wait to read your letters.

Mrs. M.

Article posted April 7, 2009 at 08:22 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 71

Please check out the fabulous speeches that the grade 6/7 students wrote for their school oratory competition. They did a fantastic job and I am really proud of them.

Kim Markwart

Over the past couple of months we have been studying how to build self-confidence and communication skills. Upon completion of this Health unit we developed cartoons to demonstrate some of the things we have studied. Please visit the link below to check out our cartoons. The students thoroughly enjoyed making their cartoons and demonstrating their newly found knowledge. Their cartoons have fantastic messages!

Mrs. Markwart

Hello Students,

After watching the movie Express, I am sure that you would agree that there were many messages that were portrayed in the movie. Those messages are ones that we can apply to our everyday lives and our future. I would like to hear three to five key messages that stood out to you and explain how you can apply those messages to your life and the life of others.

I hope you enjoyed the movie.

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted January 23, 2009 at 01:45 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 100

In class we have been discussing self-confidence and the successes in our lives. We created "Success So Far..." lifelines to help us recognize the success we have experienced thus far in our lives. There are many factors that have contributed to each of us being successful and confident.

After completing your "Success So Far" lifelines, I would like you to answer the following questions:

What do you think is your biggest success?

What did you learn from this success?

What role did other people especially family members, have in this success?

"Why do some people always see beautiful skies and grass and lovely flowers and incredible human beings, while others are hard pressed to find anything or any place that is beautiful?"

Leo Buscaglia

Author

After viewing 44th president's inauguration speech, what elements of the speech stood out to you and why?

Do you agree that we are all responsible in building a united world? Why or why not?

What can you do to assist in building hope and unity of all generations to come?

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a United States holiday marking the birthdate of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., observed on the third Monday of January each year, around the time of King's birthday, January 15. It is one of three United States federal holidays to commemorate an individual person

Take time to view Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech and answer two of the three questions below.

1. After viewing Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech tell me in your own words the main message of his "I have a dream" speech.

2. How do you think his speech has affected history and change the world as it is today.

3. Do you think Martin Luther King Jr. laid the ground work for the President-Elect (future president) of the United States of America? Explain your reasoning.

Everyone in our class has been working hard at setting new year's resolutions. We have talked about the importance of setting goals for ourselves in order to make positive changes in our lives.

In planning our resolutions we have asked ourselves the following questions:

What positive change do I need in my life?

When will the change process begin?

Why do I need to change this aspect of my life?

How do I plan to achieve my goal?

We decided that we need to make SMART goals.

S- Be very specific

M - The goal must be measurable

A - The goal needs to be achievable

R - The goal must be realistic

T - The goal must be time bound

I wish all my students the best in their endeavors to make positive changes in their lives.

Happy New Year,

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted December 19, 2008 at 08:52 PM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 130

The Grade 6/7 class took a field trip to the University of Regina to take in the experience of dissection. I am very proud of my students as they conquered fears, and put forth a full effort in this hands-on experience. Please visit our Voice Thread to capture the students' thoughts and experiences. Enjoy!

Our answer to "Mystery Object #3". We had a very busy week so we did not get to comment on all of your articles. We attached some verbal clues and comments to the answer that we just posted.

Grade 6/7 students

Hello Students,

I found this wonderful video on blogging. Be sure to share it with your parents and friends. It is very informational. Enjoy!

Mrs. Markwart

Hello,

Can you guess our mystery object this week? We have posted the entire picture. We want to know what you think it is and what its function is. If you are not sure, give us your best guess.

Good Luck,

Mrs. Markwart's Class

Click to play Mystery Object #3
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

Article posted October 17, 2008 at 04:46 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 73

Hello Mrs. Seymour's Class,

We have decided to send you some more hints. Hopefully the following hints will assist you in figuring out our mystery object.

You can find this object in most public places.

The height of the entire object when standing is 41.5 cm tall.

The pictures you see are only the top part of the object.

The bottom part of this mystery object is a cylinder shape.

The bottom part of the mystery object holds a substance.

You may never use this in your lifetime.

If you are interested in pyrotechnics you have a greater chance of using this object.

Those are all the clues we have for you. We hope this helps you on your quest for a correct guess.

Mrs. Markwart's Class

Article posted October 15, 2008 at 09:32 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 117

Hello Mystery Object Partners,

We have posted our first mystery object? Will you be able to guess what it is? We have taken pictures from all different angles. Some pictures were taken up close and some from a distance. Your job is to make a hypothesis. What is a hypothesis you ask...

Definition #1

A hypothesis is an assumption made to test its logical or empirical consequences.

Definition #2

A hypothesis is a suggested but unproved explanation of something.

Basically it is a guess!

Your hypothesis should include what you think the object is and its function. Please post your hypothesis in the comment section of the "Mystery Object" posting. On Friday we will post the mystery object and you can see if you were correct. Next week we will check your mystery object and make our own hypothesis.

Good Luck!

Click to play Mystery Object #1
Make a Smilebox slideshow

Article posted October 3, 2008 at 02:32 AM GMT0 • comment (9) • Reads 264

We hope you enjoy our digital storybook about our field trip to Crooked Valley. Let us know what you think!

Article posted September 29, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

Dear Students,

I sure hope you enjoyed the field trip, "Finding Our Way", as much as I did. A big thank you to Lori, Rory and Doug from the Outdoor Education office for helping us find our way through Crooked Valley. This week we will be sharing our experience once again with our blogging audience. We all know that many people from around the world will be reading our blogs. It is important to be very descriptive when writing your recount as most of our audience has not had the opportunity to experience the wonderful valleys in Saskatchewan. Let's show them what a beautiful place it is and the wonderful activities that we can participate in.

To start off our writing assignment you will watch a slide show of all the pictures that I took from the field trip. As you watch the slide show I want you to complete a free-write where you will jot down different ideas that you can write about. When you are finished with your free-write you will choose a topic and write one descriptive paragraph. With that topic you will complete a writing web of ideas to write about. Once you have completed your web you can get started. Remember the best way to share our experience is to use descriptive words. Also, remember to use transition words to assist you with the flow of your paragraph.

When you are done your paragraph, you will share your experience by using a program called Voice Thread. In Voice Thread we will compile all of our paragraphs and make a digital story about our trip. You will post your chosen picture from the slide show and link your paragraph to that picture. When you have all completed this task we will have a digital storybook about our trip.

Happy storytelling!

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted September 22, 2008 at 06:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 48

Hello Students,

We are now back from Treaty Four and we had a great time!

There were so many exciting and wonderful experiences that we participated in on our Treaty Four field trip.

Please write a recount of our trip to Treaty Four. A recount is the retelling or recounting of past experiences. Be sure to use detailed descriptive paragraphs so our readers can share our experience through your writing. Do not forget to use the Five W's - When, Where, What Who and Why.

I have included a slide show of our field trip. Please refer to the pictures to assist you with your detailed recount.

Enjoy recalling our fantastic trip,

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted September 17, 2008 at 01:53 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 45

Glitter Text @ Glitterfy.com

Hello Students,

We have been given a fantastic opportunity to practice how to leave comments on other individuals' blogs. Thanks to Professor Mc Gonagall, students from around the world including our class, are posting seven random facts about themselves. Upon completion we will search for other students who have left seven random facts and we will practice making appropriate and positive comments to them. As we are doing this, other students from around the world may be commenting on your seven random facts. I encourage you to check out the following classrooms:

Dragon Bloggers- Professor Mc Gonagall's class

The 743 Blog Spot - Mrs. Lubich's class

South Paris- Mrs Parisi's class

You can start with these classrooms as I know they are participating in this project. You can locate these class blogs under the Related Link section on our blog

Please remember the following:

Try to choose students with whom you have the same interests.

Make positive and appropriate comments.

Keep your identity safe.

Check over your comments ...use the C.O.P.S. strategy to assist you.

Leave your blogging name and URL address to our blog so that students can comment back to you.

Once you have completed your seven random facts, I would like you to leave at least five comments on other student's blogs.

Happy blogging/commenting

Enjoy,

Mrs. Markwart

I hope you all had a fabulous summer vacation and that you are all rested and ready to work hard...and of course have fun. For your first blog assignment I want you to choose one of the following options to write about.

Write about one thing that you did over the summer holidays. It can be a funny story, crazy adventure and/or a fun activity that you participated in.

3-2-1

Write 3 things about yourself, 2 things about your family and 1 question that you have about the upcoming year.

I look forward to reading your articles,

Mrs. M

Article posted August 5, 2008 at 05:05 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 50

Hello Class, 

I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday.  I am not sure if you are checking our class blog but if you are drop me a line and let me know what you have been busy doing. I would love to hear from you.

F.Y.I.,  I have created a new class under our class blog called Alumni 07/08.  I moved all the students who are no longer in my class into that class.  

Mrs. Markwart's Adventures

I just completed two university classes and I have just finished my first week of holidays.  I will have to rest quickly as the start of school is just around the corner.   We plan to do some camping and just hang out and rest. 

See  you all in  a few weeks.  

Take care,

Mrs. Markwart 

Article posted May 6, 2008 at 05:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

As a part of our T.A.G. challenge, we decided that we needed to reduce our light usage during our school day. For the past four weeks we have been turning our lights out in the afternoon whenever it was possible. To see what we have accomplished, check out our light usage graph below. For the remainder of the school year we will continue to turn ot our lights and spend more of our school day outside where the sun can provide us with the light we need. Stay tuned to see how our graph changes from week to week!

Chimacum Middle School....T.A.G. you are it!

Athabasca Grade 6/7 students,

Please provide a reflection of our GREEN activities and explain how you feel about our T.A.G. challenge and how it is going thus far.

Mrs. M.

light_usage_graph

Hello Class,

It is hard to believe that Spring has arrived. It is one of my most favourite times of the year.

For your next writing assignment I want you to view the pictures that I have posted and reflect on three of the following topics.

1. What memories are you reminded of from the pictures I have posted?

2. What things are you looking forward to now that Spring is here.

3. What do you see, hear and smell during the months of Spring?

Be sure to think about the topics we have covered in our Science Ecosystem unit.

4. What activities do you engage in during the months of Spring?

Happy Blogging

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.

Article posted April 22, 2008 at 04:20 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 44

Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com

The Grade 6/7 class at Athabasca School is proud to announce that we have started a program called T.A.G.- "Together Achieving Green". We have invited Chimacum Middle School to join us on our quest to help preserve the Earth. Each week we will take turns participating in an activity that works towards the common goal of our program. In return, the other class will respond with an activity that they have completed. Each class will reflect on their activities and respond to the other school's reflections and activities.

For our first activity, we sent out invitations to all of the classes of Athabasca School to join us on a schoolyard cleanup. Every class was given garbage bags, gloves and an area to clean. The cleanup is now complete and WOW we are proud of our school's effort to be "GREEN"!

We would like to also wish you all a Happy Earth Day as we send this challenge to Chimacum Middle School...T.A.G. you're it!

Together we can achieve more!!

The Grade 6/7 class of Athabasca School

Grade 6/7,

A job well done on your first T.A.G. activity! I would like you to reflect on the following:

1. Why do you think it is important to participate in the T.A.G.program?

2. Please reflect on your first T.A.G. activity and share your experience with the world.

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted April 4, 2008 at 02:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com

Hello Grade 6/7,

I am very excited to announce a wonderful opportunity that we will be exploring for the remainder of the school year. Over the holidays I had contacted many teachers all over the world to see who would be interested in collaborating with us through blogging. I received a response from Mr. Gonzalez, a teacher from Chimacum, Washington. He teaches grade 6 and 7 students at Chimacum Middle School. Both of us are very excited about this wonderful opportunity to expand our classrooms into a global classroom. We decided that we would start by blog around the subject area of Math. You will be assigned a partner to collaborate back and forth with over the next three months.

To get this project started we should introduce ourselves to Mr. Gonzalez's class. Your first collaboration assignment is a 3-2-1. I would like you to tell them a little bit about yourself. I want you to tell your partner 3 interesting facts about yourself, 2 facts about your school or community and end off with one question for your partner. You can post your assignment on your blog for your partner to view. Please remember to not use names on your blog to ensure that we are keeping our personal identity safe.

Also, be sure to check out Mr Gonzalez's classroom blog. They have really cool things happening in their classroom.

I look forward to reading the dialogue that will take place between you and your partner.

Happy blogging,

Mrs. M

Article posted April 2, 2008 at 05:34 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 39

Hello Students,

It is reflection time!

Yesterday you completed your Math digital story.

Please reflect on your experience. How did making a Math digital story assist you with understanding the concept you chose to cover in your digital story? Please be sure to talk about any struggles you had and how you worked through them as well as any celebration or revelations you may have had during the production of your story.

I am very pleased with the effort and care you put into making your digital stories. You should be very proud of yourselves. It was a job well done!

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted April 1, 2008 at 03:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 46

Join us as we share our Math digital stories. Students were asked to brainstorm the different Math concepts that we are covering in our fraction unit of study. They were then asked to take one concept and prepare a digital story explaining that particular concept. We have used a program called Voice Thread to prepare our digital stories. We hope you enjoy our stories as much as we did preparing them.

Article posted March 30, 2008 at 06:47 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 47

Hello Students,

The holidays are almost over and to end my holidays I took part in Earth Hour. It was very rewarding to know that I did my very small part to help save the Earth. It was a lot of fun. We had friends over for supper and we ate by candle light and then played cards and charades. How many of you took part in Earth Hour? If you didn't you can still pick any evening to turn off your lights for an hour...you just need to take time to do it. I want you to watch the following video clips. I think they have a very good message. We will talk about the message being portrayed in these videos and our role in saving the Earth when we get back from our holidays.

I hope you have had a wonderful holiday.

Looking forward to seeing you all again,

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted March 29, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 46

!Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com

Article posted February 12, 2008 at 04:56 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 46

Dear Students,

For the past two weeks we have been raising money for Telemiracle. I know it was fun to see Mrs. Hales receive her extreme makeover and Mr Engele's moustache being shaved off however, I have a couple of questions in regards to fundraising for Telemiracle.

1. Why do you feel it is important to fundraise for Telemiracle?

2. What impact do you think it has on the individuals that are on the receiving end of Telemiracle?

If you are not sure please visit the Telemiracle website to help you to form an opinion.

Have a great day,

Mrs. Markwart

Article posted February 1, 2008 at 07:02 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 50

In Science we have been studying the different forms of energy. Students have been asked to complete a "Forms of Energy" webquest. Each student has been assigned to a group where they have been asked to become an expert on two forms of energy. They will choose one form from each of the renewable and nonrenewable categories. Upon completion, they will return back to their group and share their finding with their group members. Within their group, they will then develop a presentation outlining which renewable and nonrenewable resource they feel would be the best for the City of Regina.

Article posted January 16, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 51

The grade 6/7 students of Athabasca School have been actively exploring the news in our world. We will also be taking part in the Leader-Post NIE program where newspapers will be delivered to our classroom on a daily basis for us to read. This will provide students the opportunity to explore and reflect on the happenings in the world. They will also share their thoughts and feelings about their readings on our classroom blog.

Also, be sure to check out our "Visitor Clustrmap"! It is very exciting to see who is reading our writing and where they are from.

Students in our class have been working hard at setting new year's resolutions. We have talked about the importance of setting goals for ourselves in order to make positive changes in our lives.

As part of a storytelling project in December, we had Kevin MacKenzie, storyteller extraordinaire, come to our classroom to share his expertise in storytelling. As a follow-up to this we have been creating our own stories and have published them in a digital storytelling format. These stories have evolved from our work in the area of bullying. These stories retell episodes from the perspectives of the victim, the bully and the bystander.

Create Your Own

Article posted December 15, 2007 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Welcome to our class blog. We are going to use this as a shared writing space to promote writing and communication skills. We encourage parents and friends to comment on other people's entries. However, no writing or comments will be published without teacher approval.

Alumni 07/08
Grade 3/4 Reading Group
Grade 6/7
MacNeill Grade 6

Image by FlamingText.com
Image by FlamingText.com Locations of visitors to this page