geeklette

teacher: Jim Ellis

Why do we care about the environment? What is there to care about in the environment? The things we should care about in the environment are us and animals the fact that we live on this planet. Earth is our home and if we don’t take care of it we will go down with the planet. But is a really big problem right now? Not really but it will be if we don’t take care of the problems we have right now. How far along are to destroying our planet? Not very far so caring about the problems is important. Is doesn’t matter if it doesn’t affect you first hand. So that’s why we should care about the environment.

Every year, fourteen kids from all over the world go into the Himalayas to clean up garbage. Where does the garbage come from? When a hiker goes up into the mountains they leave garbage all over the trails and trail ditches. The kinds of garbage are usually non- biodegradable so they just sit there scaring what little wild life is up there. The kids take care of the land for week in exchange for 4000 dollars. It’s a little pricey but it’s worth saving an ecosystem and a great vacation. The villagers in the Himalayas don’t really like the living style that tourists have made for them. When tourists don’t have anywhere to stay almost all the villagers homes are open to shelter. But the village people don’t appreciate how the tourists bring all this waste into the Himalayas then leave it there. So every year, fourteen kids go into the Himalayas to clean up the mess.

Burning fossil fuels= Too much CO2 is the atmosphere= global warming

• Desertification, flooding, freak weather, melting of the icecaps= huge loss of land=

destroyed ecosystem= nowhere to live for humans and animals= destroyed planet.

This summer I’m not doing much. Our family isn’t taking a vacation this year because we just moved. So at the time we can’t afford a family vacation and we don’t really want to take a vacation. One of the things I do want to do though is go biking more. I love biking and I just got a new bike. My bike isn’t really new but it’s new to me! Another thing I want to do this summer is get outside more. I want to get outside more because last summer I wasn’t outside much. Again, this summer I’m not doing much.

If I was a green color I’d say I would be a mid-green color. Why would I be a mid-green color? Because of how environmentally friendly I am. What do I do to be environmentally friendly? I try my best to recycle as much as I can and try to conserve water. To conserve water I try taking shorter showers and I don’t let the water run when I brush my teeth or run water till its cold. Why do I try to be earth friendly? I try because I love this planet; it’s what keeps us alive and it’s also our home. Why is it good to be environmentally friendly? It’s good because it helps our planet and if we help the planet we help ourselves. What shade of green would you be?

What do we do with the garbage on our planet? One thing we do is bury it. Is that a good thing, no. when we bury garbage it decomposes underground. But when it decomposes underground it creates methane gas that can’t escape without help, methane gas is also explosive and harmful if inhaled. But methane is also used in a lot of industrial work places. Another thing we do is burn it. But when we burn our trash it releases extremely harmful depending on what we burn. When we burn trash we try to filter the smoke to make sure we don’t release the toxins. Burning trash has its disadvantages. We could recycle a lot of the stuff we burn rather than releasing the toxins they hold when burned. That’s another thing we do with our garbage, we recycle what we can. Recycling doesn’t have many disadvantages. We can reuse the steel from cans and plastic from bottles. We can do a lot of things with our garbage but not many of them are good.

What do we do with the garbage on our planet? One thing we do is bury it. Is that a good thing? No. When we bury garbage it decomposes underground. But when it decomposes underground it creates methane gas that can’t escape without help, methane gas is also explosive and harmful if inhaled. But methane is also used in a lot of industrial work places. Another thing we do is burn it. But when we burn our trash it releases extremely harmful depending on what we burn. When we burn trash we try to filter the smoke to make sure we don’t release the toxins. Burning trash has its disadvantages. We could recycle a lot of the stuff we burn rather than releasing the toxins they hold when burned. That’s another thing we do with our garbage, we recycle what we can. Recycling doesn’t have many disadvantages. We can reuse the steel from cans and plastic from bottles. We can do a lot of things with our garbage but not many of them are good.

What do I do on a rainy day, there are three things. One thing I like to do is water color paint. I like to paint pictures of the rain outside using watercolor paints. I find watercolor the best paint to use for panting rain. The second thing I like to do is listen to music. My favorite music to listen to in this situation is Vocaloid music. Vocaloid is music made by a synthetic voice using a program that manipulates a voice to make a synthetic singer. The third thing I like to do is play World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is a MMO game of warcraft and fantasy. In the game, you can become a priest, mage, warrior, hunter, death night, paladin, shaman, rouge, or a druid. You also choose a race, you can choose from night elf, blood elf, orce, trool, goblin, gnome, human, tauren, undead, dreni, or a werewolf. Those are my favorite things to do on a rainy day.

Kevin Conway in his story Gaia: A medical report suggests two reasons our planet is in trouble. The first reason is there are too many humans. We keep making too many products that have non-biodegradable waste or toxic waste. We also cut down trees for paper, housing and farming space, but when we do this we expose the land to soil erosion. Reason number two is the industrial revolution. We burn fossil fuel that give off harmful gasses. Fossil fuel is also a non-renewable resource. Once its gone; it’s gone forever. So, Kevin Conway is saying that burning fossil fuels and over population is hurting the planet.

What’s my favorite food? My favorite food is sushi. I love the combination of rice and fish is the best taste ever to me. Does where I eat it affect the taste to me? Just a little. If I were to eat it at school I don’t think it would be the best place to eat it because of all the kids who think sushi is gross because It has “raw fish”. The whole “sushi has raw fish” isn’t true only sashimi has raw fish (sashimi is a type of sushi maki rolls are the kind that are wrapped in seaweed). What is my favorite kind of sushi? My favorite kind of sushi is California rolls (maki) and salmon sashimi (yes the one with raw fish). My favorite food is by far sushi!