Copyright (c) 2014 by Shelly Lamb Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Shelly Lamb -- Blogmeister

-

Fantastic Fourteen

We are a class of 27 children who are 7 and 8 years old. We live in beautiful Rotorua, New Zealand. We are curious about the world, and love to learn.

by Shelly Lamb

Science
Pattern to 10 maths
Talking books
Talking books1
Maths interactive
Writing
Fun science experiements
IXL maths
Bite size literacy
Bite size maths
Bite size maths
Bite size maths
Bite size maths
Bite size maths
Year 3 fractions
Princess maths
BBC multiplication
fractions, halves, thirds and quarters
Communicating Ideas
Ordering fractions
Fraction monkeys
Skip counting
Skip counting practice
Multiplication sentences
Times tables up to 5
Times tables up to 10
Multiplication word problems - Dylan
Place Value Games
Time problems
Adding 10
Place Value 10s
Place Value Hundreds
Place Value Thousands
Addition to 20
Add to 10 Cones Group
Study Ladder Login
Maths symmetry
Sentences

Article posted October 21, 2012 at 07:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 411

What an exciting end to Term 3. Room 15 were jungle animals in the year 3 production. You all did an amazing job. Photos to come!

Article posted December 4, 2011 at 04:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 65

Thank you for coming to support your children in their student led conference last week. Family support makes a BIG difference to your child's learning. The children did a great job, and it is fantastic that everyone who attended wrote their child a special message which will be read out in class this week.

Room 17 are all very excited about the junior production this week. Just a reminder we are in Group A; so our performances are on Tuesday at 11am and Wednesday evening. On Friday your child received a notice to give to you regarding the times they need to be at school. We look forward to seeing you at one of the performances.

This Friday (9th December) we will be having a shared lunch starting at 11.30. Your child will bring home a notice tomorrow (Monday) with more information. It would be great to see you there! Heather Thompson kindly came in last week and decorated a Gingerbread House with the children, which we will also share on Friday.

Have a fabulous week!

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 04:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 65

Wow - our beanstalks have grown so quickly they will be coming home on Wednesday so make sure you save a place in your garden.....

Article posted November 18, 2011 at 07:43 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 57

Last week the children imagined they were Jack and what they would like to see at the top of their beanstalk. Here are their stories. It would be great if you could encourage your child to read their story to you... We would love you to leave a comment which will be read to the class.

Article posted November 15, 2011 at 08:34 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 57

Kia Ora Tatou

The children in Room 17 have been practicing hard for the Junior Production coming up very fast in Week 7. As well a dance to learn, we also have lots of songs. The children will glue the song words into their poem books instead of a poem on Friday. Please feel free to learn the words with your children :-) I understand you can buy a CD with the junior productions songs on it for $2. If you are interested in purchasing one let me know and I will look into this for you.

On Tuesday afternoons we have been very lucky to have lots of parents help with swimming, and then join us for our weekly time in the library. Here are some photos of what we get up to......

Enjoy :-)

style="height:350px;width:460px" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Article posted November 6, 2011 at 06:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 62

As you know our storyline for Junior Production is Jack and the Beanstalk. Last week we predicted what beans need to grow. We placed two seeds in the light; one with water and one without, and two seeds in the dark; again one with water and one without. When we checked them after a couple of days the ones with water have grown both roots and shoots. The children have also planted their own bean seeds and are responsible for caring for them. We are wondering how tall they will grow...

For our maths strand we are looking at volume and capacity. At school this week we have compared the volumes of a number of different containers by pouring from one to the other. We have found that some containers, which look very different, can have the same volume.

At home this week please help your child to find two containers that look different but hold similar amounts of water. Your child can then ask family members to guess which holds the most and see if anyone is “tricked".

Article posted November 2, 2011 at 07:45 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 69

Thank you so much to Megan Twist (Sophie's Mum) who just 'whipped up' a tunic and shorts today. This is our costume for production and of course the boys will need a black t-shirt. I'm sure you will agree that Megan has done a fantastic job! And thank you to Sandy, Susan and Melanie who have also offered to help with sewing. The kids will look fantastic!

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 07:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 51

Welcome to Term 4

We have had a great start to the term with the children settling back into the school routine and very enthusiastic to get back into learning :-) It is a very short and busy term with student led discussions being in Week 6, and the Junior Production in Week 7.

Today we had our first swimming session in the school pool which was enjoyed by all. Swimming at this age at school consists of water confidence and safety, increasing independence with changing and being responsible for belongings, and of course swimming skills such as blowing bubbles, learning how to float and kicking.

With the weather getting warmer it is compulsory to wear a school sunhat this term, and it is great to see most children wearing their hats at playtime and lunchtime. Children without a hat are required to sit outside Room 1 during these times.

Have an enjoyable week.

Article posted October 6, 2011 at 06:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 56

Gosh where has this term gone? This week we were lucky enough to have Year 4 children read to the class. The girls wrote their own book and then asked the children for feedback after they had read it. We also watched the fantastic Year 5 production called Zoom, which was based on the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare but with a twist. Next term there will be some changes; no PMP however we still have gym once a week. We will also have swimming which will be on a Wednesday afternoon. Your child will need togs, a towel, goggles if they use them, and a swimming bag (a plastic bag is fine). Please ensure they are all named as well as their uniform. Please make sure your child can get themselves changed independently. We will also be in the junior production so we'll be practicing for that.

Next term it is compulsory for children to wear a school hat. I suggest sewing something on to the outside of it so your child can easily identify it.

Now the holidays are here there are different ways you can help with your child's learning in everyday situations. For example, ask them to hand you pegs while doing the washing, they can count them in 1s or 2s or write a letter to Grandparents or if you're lucky enough to be going away you can send us a postcard!

Have a great holiday :-)

This week we have continued to practice role playing what we will do in a fire. The children have enjoyed the spontaneous fire drills we have had in class. They know to get down, get low and get out! Fast! On Friday we learned that fire needs oxygen and food (fuel) to keep burning. I lit a candle and the children predicted if the candle would keep burning or go out. We counted to 60 and it didn't go out so we knew it had oxygen (we learned what this was from Harold the giraffe) and fuel. We then put the candle in a sealed jar and predicted if it would go out or keep burning. It went out in 8 seconds! We talked about what had changed and came to the realisation it had no oxygen. During these experiments the children made sure they were a metre from the heater (fire) to be safe.

Room 24 are fundraising to sponser kiwis at Rainbow Springs by selling popcorn. We counted our money and we were lucky enough to have enough for a bag each! The children in Room 24 checked we had the right amount of money and 'sold' us the popcorn. When they checked the money it was the same amount we had counted. Phew!

Our Buddy class (Room 4) have been practising for a shuffling competition and asked us if we would help vote for the best group. They were all fantastic and it was hard to choose. We finished off with them showing us how to shuffle and then we had a turn.

Next week is the last week of term already. Have a safe and happy week :-)

Room 15

I am passionate about teaching and my goal is to create a classroom climate in which children have a love of learning and reach their full potential. I am also a Mum and have lovely twin girls who are 9 years old and also go to Lynmore School.