Copyright (c) 2014 by J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
J -- Blogmeister

by J teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: Gems: Determining Importance (11/08/10)
Description: What was most important in the article about Gems. Share your paragraphs and of the article we read. Did we all agree, or do we need more discussion? Let's see.

Gems can be found on crowns worn by royalty and on sacred religous objects. Gems are made of crystals which are made of atoms. Most gems must be 5 or above on the mohs scale {gem scale} or above to be strong enough for use in jewlery. A mineral can get so hot inside a diamond in the earth that it melts. As the Diamond slowly cools the atoms fall into place to make a gem. Gems are found under ground. When a miner finds a gem it looks very different from the one you see on a necklace. It would look different because when you first find a gem it has a dull surface and rough edges. Then gem cutters cut the gem and smooth it to cover it's rough ugly flaws.

Crystals are made by water that is in the earth.Then the water evaporates and adams move into place to form a crystal. Crystals are deep in the ground so people have to build a mine to find them.When a minders find a crystal it will not look as pretty as you would expect it to be.The crystals have bumps scratches and black spots.So people have to cut them into surfaces called faces.There are many different kinds of cuts but that depends on the gem.Organic gems like pearls and coral come from living things like bugs.All these gems are valuable because of their weight,size,cut and clarity.They are also valuable because of their color and how strong they are.Another important thing to know is that diamonds can cut anything stone or even metal.Since gems are popular and rare scientists are trying to make gems so we can enjoy them forever.

Gems are made of atoms. The atoms mix together to make gems. Also, gems are rocks at first and then they transform into a gem with heat, water and other stuff. All organic gems come from living things. Gems can be small or big and are normally found deep underneath the Earth. Most gems aren't perfect when minors find them so they cut them to make them look good. Sometimes, they like to show off color, pattern and allow it to sparkle. Diamonds can cut anything like metal and stone. Rare diamonds can be yellow, red or blue. Some gems have unusual colors. Some gems also are the same because they are made of the same mineral. Sometimes you can see spots and stripes running through it or on it. A lot of people like gems and I hope you do too!

Gems are made of minerals. Gems are very hard. They are rare when they are red,blue or yellow.Gems are found underground.

Gems can be found all around the world like in a cave or by a mountain. Gems are really valuable because they are rare.

Here are some gem facts.

There are five different shapes gems take. The most valuable gems are diamonds, emeralds, and rubies. Gems are formed in the mantle and brought to the surface by volcanic eruption. Minerals in stones or rocks do not form in a specific way when gems minerals are formed in a specific way caused by heat and pressure. Most gems have to be mined by hand or else the will be crushed to bits. When a miner finds a gem it is dull and boring. Then he gives it to a gem cutter who cuts them into a fancy design. There are five different ways to cut a gem. The two things that makes a gem valuable is how beautiful it is and how rare it is. Gems have bright and pure colors. Gems with dark marks or bubbles or both make a gem less valuable. One of the most famous diamonds is the hope diamond. A gem can only scrape one softer then itself. Diamonds are the hardest objects in the world. My last fact is that quarts is found all over the world in rainbow colors.

Can you find any more gem facts?

Gems can be found all over the world. They are mostly found underground. Miners get gems from the earths crust . Emeralds are more valuable then diamonds. Emeralds can be carved into figures. Minerals are made of millions of particles called atoms. some gems have flat sides and some have sharp sides. For the ones that have sharp sides they have to use a cutter to make it smooth. Quarts grow very large . Quarts are cool to look at. gems are very very festinating=http://

Gems are very beautiful and rare. That's why they have a big value. But when they are first found in the ground it is very rough and have cracks. They haft to be carved because it is very rough. That's how they're beautiful. It is perfect when it is done by hand. When it is hot underground it melts. When it cools underground it makes another gem. The biggest diamond found underground is the cullinan diamond. There are three parts of gems. First is the crystal. Second is the stone. Third is the minerals. The four c's are the color, strong, pure and minerals. That's what a gem is.

Some of the most famous gems are crystals. Crystals have flat sides, called faces. Crystals are made up of atoms. In crystals the atoms are arranged in neat patterns. Most crystals form under the earth. Sapphires form when minerals get so hot that they melt. Other gems such as Opals form when minerals dissolve in water. There are also Pearls. Pearls are made when a grain of sand gets trapped inside an oyster's shell. Coral and Amber are organic gems. Coral is made of sea creature's skeletons, while Amber is made from the fossils of insects caught in sap. The gems that are made underground are so small and hard to find that mining is done by hand. To find a gem miners must chip and cut the rock. When miners find a gem it looks dull and ugly. It is also bumpy. Gems are often cut by gem cutters so they can show of how pretty they are. When the gem comes out the value of the gem is determined by how hard it is and a system called the four c's. The four c's stands for cut, carat weight, color, and clarity. These are all things to know about gems.

Gems are made of particles called atoms. The atoms are mixed together to make patterns. Gems are rocks at first and then they transform into a gem with heat. Organic gems come from living things. Gems are small and normally deep because minerals are deep. Gems aren't perfect when miners find them but they cut them and polish them to look good. Most gems get cut into flat surfaces. The facets show of the gems color, pattern and allows it to sparkle. Gems are valuable because their beautiful and rare. The value is determined by the cut and color. Diamonds can cut anything including metal and stones. Hope diamonds are very famous and is an unusually color of sky blue. The quartz family is the color of the rainbow. The most valuable in the quartz is the opal. A lot of people sacrificed their life just to get a beautiful gem.

There are so many types of gems. They are so beautiful in so many different ways.

A natural pearl isn't round it has an odd shape.

Most gems are minerals that atoms form. A safiar is most of the time underground then it is melted then cooled.

When gems are formed they are formed by heat. Dimonds are formed by heat, atoms and force.

Pearls grow from a grain of sand in a clam. The clam puts a layer of narce on the grain of sand.

Most opals "grow" underground until a miner digs it up.

There are so many beautiful ways to carve a gem. With certain gems you can carve the rose.

I think it is cool how Freidrich Mohs thoughtof scraping one gem with another to see how strong the gem is. The dimond is the strongest gem in the world.

In asia Jade is used to make axes,swords and knifes.

Quarts come in every color of the rainbow even black.

Star saphires and rubys are very valuable. The name ruby came from the latin word for red.

Crystals are pure forms of minerals made out of atoms. The atoms are arranged in patterns unlike most rocks. Most crystals form in the mantle and are brought up by volcanos. A organic gem is a gem formed by living things. For example pearls and amber are organic gems. Most mineral gems are underground so to get them people have to dig a hole that goes underground and mine for them by hand. When gems are formed they look dull dark rough edges etc. So lapidaries (gem cutters) cut polish and hide flaws so they look like what you see in the store.

Most Atoms are made in rocks . Crystals are manly made of Atoms. Crystals have flat sides also called faces. Lots of crystals have some kind of heading . Sometimes under VOLCANOS. Diamonds are squeezed under layers of rocks, rocks, ,& rocks . Water evaporates & leaves forms of a crystal . A parade a lows it to sparkle .

Minerals and atoms make crystals. The atoms go together to make shapes. Gems don't usually come in the shapes you see them in jewlery they are cut different ways. Gems have different strengths. Diamond is 10 because only another diamond can scratch a diamond. Talc is 1. There are the 4 C's cut,carat weight,clarity and color. A type of gem is the Diamond it can be blue, red, and yellow but the most common is colorless! Pearls are white, light pink and a creamy color! Miners find gems under the ground!

Gems are atoms lodged together. Stone,Crystals and Organic Gems are the major gem groups. Crystals are gems that shape them selfs.Diamonds are formed deep inside the earth. Miners need to go underground to get gems.Cut refers to how good the gem is cut and polished. Diamonds are the hardest gem. Rare diamonds are red, yellow and blue.

THE JOURNEY 04/25/11
Vocab Story 03/25/11
weakly review 02/17/11
01/21/11
Strangers!!!!!!!!!!! 01/21/11
subject 01/14/11
Books 01/04/11
01/03/11
Winter Breake 01/03/11
Its Just the begining of a new stoy! 12/13/10