Copyright (c) 2014 by Tracey Low Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Tracey Low -- Blogmeister

Camp Whakamaru

by Tracey Low

Rotokawa School
Photos from Isobel's mum

Article posted March 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 191

Camp Whakamaru

Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 01:09 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 41

Students -Please complete the camp survey that you will find by clicking on the link below. We value your feedback.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XV5FLNY

Click on the link on the left of the page to see more photos from camp. Thanks to Isobel and her mum.

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 09:27 AM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 64

I tenei ra i timata toku roopu ki runga i tetahi activity ko te raft building. I mahi toku roopu ki te ata. I te wa i purua matau ki roto i te wai i rakaru i te wa i haere matou ki roto i te wai i te timata ki te pakaru. I te wa i pakaru te mea katoa i haramai tetahi tangata ko tona ingoa ko Grant, ara i timata ki te haramai a Teina me Eriata ki ring ki tetahi tube,. He pai ahau ki tera activity.

I tenei po kei te haere matou mo tetahi night walko.  Kei te haere nga tau rima ki wainganui i te 8:30 me te 9:00 me kei te haere nga tau ono ki te 9:00. Kei te harikoa ahau na te mea i te tatari ahau mai i tera tau ki te mahi nga tau ono night walk.

I mahi a matou i etahi activities ka koreo ko te team building he pai ahau ki te Axid River na te mea i taka ahau i roto me  i te kata ahau me toku roopu.

I muri i tera i mahi etahi tangata te Tarzan swing te kauhoe i te tuatahi ara i haere ahau e wha nga wa he tino rawe ahau ki tera activity.

Te mutunga!

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 09:13 AM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

Deanna - Good morning everyone. We are going back to school today. We have cleaned our dorms and got our packed lunch. Everyone is down at the flying fox for one last turn before we go home.

Abbey -It is very quite and everyone is sleepy. When Mr Pooley came to wake us I felt like I was still dreaming.

Deanna – I was firs in line on the Burma Trail. It was fun. There was a big cave and lots of obstacles.

Abbey - And cave and rocks and I stubbed my toe on a rock.

Rihare – It was cool at camp and I really like it. And last night at the bush walk it was cool going through the cave. I could just fit in it. When I was going down I went to kick my foot hard and the rocks fell down and I kept donging my head. 

I was telling funny stories about food like spaghetti cookies and baked bean onions. (all the stuff that was yuck) and when we come back it was dumb because we had to go to bed.

Mrs Low- It was 10:15pm!

Henry – Today we are leaving. We are going to go back to school and I can’t wait to spread all the news with my friends and I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed. I am homesick for my bed.

John – I enjoyed shooting the slug gun before and I knocked down the rat two times. My best memory of camp is going to be how good the night walk was in Year 6.

Dylana – Last night we went on the night walk which was quite scary. We had to wait for people to go through the little crack between the rocks which was quite fun because I like going through tight spaces. There was lots of hills and trees in our way and Mikey kept on bumping in to them and people were hiding in the bushes and scaring people. We had three tunnels but my favourite one had to be the one that went straight down and you had to squeeze through a tight space. When I was going through the tight space I fell through and donked my head. Dianne went after me and had to help me find a parent because my head was throbbing. When we came out through the little tunnel at the end Mrs Low got stuck.

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:38 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 43

I tenei ata I timata matou ki te mahi treasure hunt. Ko to mahi me te titiro ki te pepa, me te whakaaro kei heat era wahi? I te wa kei kora koe pea he kupu ki tera wahi. Ko te kupu tuatahi I kimi matous ko te kupu ‘to’. A muri ko te “must” A muri I tera I mahi matou he rerenga korero. Ko a matou rerenga korero ko te, “You must put these tricky words in order to win this game”. He maama ma matou hei mahi.

A muri I tera I haere nga tamariki katoa ki runga I te whira mo te “Wai Runga Taone” E waru nga hei mahi. Ka mahi matou mo te whakataetae. I haere maku katoa. A muri tera I mahi matou he whawhai wai.

Mo te mahi a roopu he mahi uaua engari I mahi matou nga mea katoa.

A muri I tera i haere ahau ki te Tarzan swing. (Caleb). I te wa I tae mai ahau ki te rarangi mo te Tarzan swing. He roa te rarangi na te mea I te pirangi mahanga tangata ki te haere ki runga.  I te wa tatari ahau I haere au ki te tiki oku kakahu kaukau na te mea I wareware au ki te purua ki runga

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:37 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

In the morning we did the climbing wall. I got up half way and then I got scared. John, Jack and James went up and got scared coming back down the wall. Rosie had trouble because of her cast and Henry got really scared but he did it.

After that we did Water Top Town. We got third. Then we had a swim in the lake. It was really cold. Then we did Team Building. John, Rosie, Isobel and James all fell in and Jack and John were throwing Johns wet t-shirt. John threw it at Jack and then Jack threw it at John at his head and then he fell over and it was funny.

Then we did another free time and I got to do a free swim on a raft. I built myself a raft. Today I had a really fun day.

By Sam

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:36 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 36

Abbey -Today we did BMX.

Deanna - I crashed a few times.

Abbey - I was going too slow. Blade had the fastest time around the track. He did it in 26 seconds. Then we did Water Top Town. There was a big water fight and everyone got wet. Then we went on to the team building and when we were crossing the log by the broken bridge everyone in our group jumped in and got soaked. Then I went on the Tarzan swing. Then Deanna went on the nature walk and she saw the Burma trail rope.

Deanna - On the nature walk we walk over a hill by a river. Now we are going to the Burma trail.

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:35 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 36

This morning my group did the rock climb and when I got to the top it was really scary. The harness gave me a wedgey. The short one was quite hard because there wasn’t enough pegs on the wall.

When we did the Wet Top Town our group came third but I thought we would come first. I liked the sponge throwing cause I got Tom and Tony and Jamie in the face with heaps of sponges. I like the water fight at the end because I got Mr Pooley with heaps and heaps of sponges and Warren.

On the team building the wall climb was quite hard, but it was fun. Isobel, who was in our group, was the last person down there so she didn’t get to the top of the wall in time. I also like the ‘thread the needle’ activity because we had Rosie in our group and she is very tall. With the blown up bridge I pushed John in and then I was happy.

The best thing of the day was the Tarzan swing because I got 10 turns. Maree just about didn’t let go and Blade and I got really freaked out.

I really liked the pudding tonight because it was Pavlova. That is one of my favourites.

By Henry

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 04:12 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Wow.. My first camp since I was 12 years old & I am having a blast.   I have seen my kids abseiling which is something I thought I would never see, since one in particular is very fearful of heights (a real high for all of us).   I am so glad I took the time to see & participate in activities that I wouldn’t have done at home. I will definitely be back next year. 

By Amanda Dorrell

It’s great to be here, (its Thursday and I’ve just arrived today so have missed out on lots of the fun!!!!. This is our 4th child to experience camp here from Rotokawa School and for all of them the memories are very special…and unique, especially their first camp.   Even though the children are tired from a full week it’s great to see them trying new things and working together so well.   I am so pleased that I can be here to experience some of these special times with Maree and all the children. 

Shirley Brown

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 04:11 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Just before we did lots of activities like the Acid River, the Blown Up Bridge, the Spider Web and lots more. The one I liked the best was the Acid River. First you had to get the rope and then swing across the Acid River to the other side without falling in because it was an acid river and acid is bad.

We all did it then we were just swinging in for fun. Krista went across and she fell in when she was trying to get up onto the other side and her hat fell in the water and so did mine.

On the climbing wall we didn’t get our team members all up. Cheyenne put their knees down so you could get up and one person was at the top so they could reach down and help you up. I climbed up the chain and then someone else tried then they said, “no you’re not allow to go on then chain,” so I said, “Me? I didn’t got on the chain!”

I was first to get down. I had to hang off the wall and let go and jump the rest of the way so I wouldn’t hit the wall. My team did my technique to get down except we had to help Meghan down.

I didn’t do the blown up bridge because there was not enough time left and Krista and her friend didn’t go fast because they couldn’t get the next part of the bridge.

I am having lots of fun. I am a bit tired but I still want to do the Tarzan swing.

By Maree

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 03:38 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 38

Camp Whakamaru… What a great place it is for children to experience what they would not normally get to experience. It has been awesome to have the opportunity to be here with my child and see how far he will push himself. It is also neat to observe all the elation when a child overcomes a fear of not being able to do something, for example one of the children came into the dining room so elated that he had just been down the flying fox, giving Mrs Low and myself a high 5 saying “I did it” and going up to the parent that helped with the harness and giving her a HUGE hug saying to her “that was WICKED”. That has made his camp. It has made my camp seeing my child go abseiling. 

By Nadine

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 03:33 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

Today we had our last activity which was go carts. On the first round I crashed into the tyres. After that I went slow for a while but on my second turn I sped up again. After that I got the hang of it. Then it was Keanan’s turn and I was the passenger. He went around the corner too fast and I banged my head into the roof twice.

By Liam

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 03:32 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

OK. Where do I start! We just finished the WET Top Town challenge and it was FUN! The kids were all working as teams to complete each challenge.

I thought it was funny seeing the mums with teams helping them to complete their challenge to get more points and the dads teaching the kids tricks to get more points. Ha ha.

I put my head through the hole in the wet sponge throw target. It was a hoot until I got hit. Blade hit me right in the forehead and then the games really began. The team on the fire hose challenge decided I was a better target than the container they were supposed to be aiming at. (I wonder where they got that idea from Warren!) Suddenly I had sponges coming at me from all directions. Gee it is funny how good they are at hitting their target when they are motivated. I thought it was over when suddenly one of the boys snuck up behind me and tipped a bucket of water down my back!

Everyone was laughing and having fun. Mr Pooley got soaked in the sponge throw and the dad’s made really good targets in the sponge throw too. They really knew how to get the kids going by pulling faces and teasing them when they missed. Meghan and Maree’s mothers were soaked when trying to block the holes in the tub for one of their challenges.

At the end a massive water fight broke out so I snuck away as quickly as I could. The showers were nice and hot and I had them all to myself. I felt very prod ofg myself until the kids said to me, “you wait Mrs Low, we will get you.”

Mrs Low

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 03:31 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

In the morning I got up, got changed, but then I got back changed into my pyjamas because they were warmer and then I got my dressing gown on. Then I went to play four ball and I won about five games and lost about six games.

Then the bell went for us to have breakfast. I had two pieces of toast, one with jam and one with honey and I had a bowl of cornflakes with yoghurt and peaches.

Then I went on to free time and I played some more four ball.

Then the bell went for us to go on to our first activity. My only activity today was raft building. We made a good raft and then we put it into the water and tried it out. There was not enough room for everyone so I stayed on the ground and Junior did too. There was on it Krista, Meghan, Maree and Cheyenne. A little while out they couldn’t turn to come back so they decided to go to land and turn it around, Meghan fell off and then Cheyenne jumped off. The raft broke and everyone started to jump off. They were laughing so much and having so much fun and then the parent jumped in to get them out of the water. After they had got out we went and had morning tea which was a biscuit and a drink.

Then we did the water Top Town. There was one where you had to hold a cup on a pipe and there was one called the Plumbers Nightmare where you had to all put all the pipes together and pour water down them into a bucket. And then there was one where we had to throw sponges at our parent who stuck their head through a hole on a big board. And then there was one where you had to use a hose to hit water into a bucket up high, which went down into another bucket through a pipe.

Then it was lunch time, then we did the team building challenges. There was the broken bridge and you had to get a pole onto a big sticky out thing and get it to another and another and then you had to get across and if you fell in you landed in a big slimy river. The slime looked like snot.

Then there was the acid river. We had to jump in, grab the rope and swing your whole team to the other side one at a time. We did it about five times!

By Josh Donald

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 03:18 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Yesterday we went on the go cart and I went psycho with the go cart and crashed five times. I used up pretty much all of the petrol and had Emaraina screaming her head off. I reckon that the go cart should go faster and that the track should be longer so then we could have a lot more time to have fun. When I was with Charm she did not go fast enough even though she had her foot on the accelerator.

After the go carting we went abseiling. JT was supposed to go first but he was too freaked out by how high it was so I went first instead. It was quite scary having to lean back over the edge because you had to have your head and butt pointing to the ground and your legs up high and straight. Then you have to walk down taking little steps and stop and wave your tired hand that was holding on to the bar to the kids at the bottom.

After we finished walking we had to start bouncing off the walls like we do on bouldering. No one is holding you except for the person at the top. You are holding yourself and have to let yourself go down with one hand at your side.

By Dylana

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 03:17 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 35

On Tuesday we did BMX bike riding. The fastest lap was 28 seconds. My time was 32 seconds. Charm tried to beat the 28 seconds lap but the reason why I actually chose this topic is because Charm drove off the track into a tree and she is sitting right next to me.

The very first go on the go cart I went slow. When I got off I saw how the other kids drove and I tried to give it a shot how they did it. That did not go so good. They were freaked out more than me because there is a straight bit and whenever I went there I boosted it and could hear them scream hard out! I only crashed once into a tyre but Dylana was crazier than me. She crashed four times.

After go carting we did raft building. It is a sport you have to build rafts out of about ten bamboo sticks, five paddling sticks, heaps of string, two big tubes and three little tubes. And we had two big plastic pipes.

We had to see who built the best raft. People say ours came the second best. It floated but only our knees were in the water and it was floating on it in the water but we had a little trouble paddling. We could paddle, there was only about half a metre of space to paddle.

The confidence course. We had to go up on some obstacles and complete all the whole obstacles without touching the ground. If we didn’t touch the ground and completed the whole course we would get a prize. Only about two or three people managed it. I tried the postman walk. It’s almost like walking on a rope leaning back holing another rope. I didn’t complete it. It was the hardest one on the track. But I did slip off and hit stuff down in the middle of my legs and it was sore!

After that we did kayaks. We tied up all the kayaks together like a big train. The two adult helpers were in the front towing the children in kayaks. The is a little rope you link in and then the kayaks are tied together. We also had to stand up on the kayaks and paddle. JT wanted to do a barrel roll.

After that we did archery and air rifle. I also wrote about it in my daily diary. It was the second hardest sport in camp. Every time you think you’ve got into a clip you don’t. The air rifle was almost like my old pellet gun.

In my cabin I slept with Blade, Matthew, Junior and John Barrie. We were telling jokes at night.

This afternoon we are going to do Water Top Town. We are going to do the bush walk and night walk tonight. And I also met two Africans people who work at the camp. And that’s about all we did at camp.

Pieter

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 08:39 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 35

http://www.vuvox.com/presentations/02087bef04

Day 3 Slide show link

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 07:37 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 33

Click on the link to see photos of us today.

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 07:03 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Today our first activity was rock climbing wall. I got on well. I achieved something that I thought that I wouldn’t do. The big wall was easy but the little one was harder.

After that activity we had morning tea then went on to the go cart. Me and Dylana were first up. Dylana drove first and I was in the passenger’s seat. We drove crazy.

After three laps it was my turn to drive. I went as fast as it could go. Luckily I nearly crashed but I didn’t. We had nine turns each.

After go carts we done abseiling. J.T was going up first but he got a little bit scared so Dylana went first. After Dylana was Caleb then it was me. The only scary part is when you have to stand on the edge with your body down and your feet at the top. When I got to the bottom I was happy about myself.

That day was awesome.

By Charm

After tea was flying fox. After a couple of people the kids did a bet with Mr Pooley that if he went on the flying fox Mrs Low would too. Then it was Mr Pooley’s turn. He just went straight down without a word.

Just as he was finishing Mrs Low came along. She was surprised when the kids told her she had to do it.

Me, Rhianne and Nature went up the steep as stairs and then we got told to go back down. Then we quickly ran to the other side where everyone was lined up. Mrs Low got harnessed up. Then the gate was opened and Mrs Low went screaming down the fly fox. Warren said that she was a tsunami and we said that Warren was a big fat earthquake.

Everyone was laughing and cheering. Mrs Low was happy that she did the dare. We just kept on laughing.

By Ngaio

Today we did the climbing wall I climbed to the top and abseiled down. It was fun but also boring because I had to wait for ages for my turn to go up but once I got my turn it was worth it when I got to the top.

By Liam

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 05:59 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 35

Today we went on the go carts. Me and Flynn crashed. We went abseiling and it was really scary. Leaning back felt like I was going to fall. Best of all was swimming in the lake with all my friends on the black tyre tube.

By Libby

Yesterday I did the whole confidence course without touching the ground and I thought that I wouldn’t be able to do it. When I was on the confidence course and I had finished the rickety bridge I had to keep trying to get across to the bars at the end. I had to do the splits to get to it. I felt really good when I had done it.

By Ella

Today I did orienteering and I did the whole sheet. We also did the go cart and wI went really fast and Ryan was my passenger. He was telling me to go slower! Then we went for a swim and me, Ella, Libby and Abbey were palying on the rubber tube and singing then I had a shower and played mini put and now we are having tea.

By Kalani

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 05:57 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 59

This morning I woke up then I had breakfast. I had cornflakes yoghurt and peaches. After that we moved to our first activity. Our first activity was petanque. I had one of them and everyone else had every other one.

Then I had morning tea. I had a biscuit and some juice then we went back into our groups and we did our second activity which was climbing the wall (rock climbing). I almost got to the top but I got stuck.

Then we moved on to go carts and I went with Cheyenne and at the end we crashed into the tyres! It was funny. I thought it was fun. Then after that I didn’t want to drive because I am a crazy driver. Then after that me and Junior went on to gun shooting which we weren’t meant to but a parent said we could and we did a contest with Ms Taylor and me and Junior won. She didn’t hit the rat but Junior did.

After that I was going to drive the go carts but it was time for lunch. I had macaroni and cheese with heaps of apples and some oranges. Then we went on to our fourth activity which was bow and arrow and gun shooting and I killed with the bow and arrow a bull (the bull is one of the pictures on the target board). The other Joshua hit the bulls eye.

After that we moved on to gun shooting and Isobel shot the tin rat down. She hit the rat and someone else shot the rat down too. And then the bell went and we went for afternoon tea which was also a biscuit and drink.

Then we had free time and I played Four Ball against Caleb and Rangi. Then I went on the flying fox. I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it. I thought I was going to walk back down the stairs because I am afraid of heights.

I saw my sister do it so I decided to have a go. I felt nervous going up the stairs. I was saying to myself, “hopefully I am going to be able to do this.” When I got to the top I had to practice leaning back for skill and then after Ebony it was my turn so they hooked me up to the flying fox and I jumped off!

I was hoping that I wouldn’t look down but I did. I got freaked out. I thought, “weeeeee,” in my mind as I went down. Before I did it I saw Ms Taylor go down and she yelled out, “weee heeeee!” and everyone tried to get Ms Bewely to do it but she wouldn’t. It would have been so funny if she did it.

Then I went back and told my sister that I went on the flying fox. Then I went and played. I thought today was a fun day.

By Josh Donald

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 05:54 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

Today we did abseiling. Me and Deanna had a turn first on the wall. When we got up I freaked out. It was very, very, very high! After abseiling we came back for morning tea, then we did rifle and treasure hunt. I really enjoyed rifle shooting because I tried to get the rat target down but I missed! On the yellow page target I got by the number 3. The treasure hunt was fun. We had to find words like to, in, this, when, here. Then we had to go back to the front where we assemble and tell the teacher that was running the treasure hunt. When we told her she wrote it down on the piece of paper and gave it to us to figure out a sentence. When we finished the sentence we got a surprise and it was a snickers.

After the treasure hunt, we came back for afternoon tea, then we went to raft building. We had a challenge – boys against girls. The boys raft fell apart half way through. The girls one went all the way around the pontoon. We had to save the boys – especially Jackson! 

After raft building we went to kayaks. We all jumped into a life jacket and chose our kayaks and we all pushed our kayaks into the water. The water was really deep, even half way up to the shore. We had tried to row into a circle but we went all over the place so we tried to line up and hold onto other peoples kayaks. Once we got into a line, Marks daughter asked if we wanted to change kayaks. Me and Abbey changed, Deanna and Marks daughter changed. After we changed we tried to get our kayaks   the other side of the lake. When we went to the other side of the lake everyone was getting stuck in the weed. Jackson kept on falling out of his kayak. He fell out when we were all towing but he couldn’t tow us all so we had to untie ourselves. We managed to get over the lake and to the beach where we were heading. After we got there it was shallow as! We all jumped out and started to swim but some of my group wouldn’t get out because it was too deep! We went from the beach back to the island then we all got out and went to play.

Next we went on the flying fox. I was 7th in line! There were 3 harnesses so 3 got to go up at a time. After a few people had a turn, Ms Taylor had a turn. Her hair was flapping around in the wind and she said woooohoooo! 

After I had one turn I went for a swim. Ngahuia and Bradley were my partners. Ngahuia and Bradley went to the pontoon to jump off. Somebody jumped off the pontoon and landed on Jack by accident.

After we had a swim we came back for tea. We had burgers and wedges! They were delicious! We had pudding which was exceptional!

By Aidan

aidan by you.

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Today we went on the BMX track. Me and Isobel didn’t want to have a go but we did. I fell off the track straight away. It is because I have never really learned to ride a bike. The other group came on there when it wasn’t their turn. I didn’t particularly enjoy the BMX track. I am really looking forward to the confidence course. My goal is to do the postman’s walk because that is the hardest part.

Today I woke up in the morning to find everyone awake and everyone running around

and laughing.

The first activity was kayaking which was really fun because we got to play bumper

carts and stuck in the mud with the kayaks. In the kayaks we paddled right over to the other side of the lake.

The next activity we had was BMX which was pretty fun although I got lots of bruises up my legs form falling off around the sharp corner.

The next activity was the confidence course and on the confidence course I only got stuck on two of the activities. The hardest activity on the confidence was probably the postman’s walk.

By Jack

I went to the BMX track and we were riding the BMX bikes. It was pretty fun but I fell over. Then we had to do orienteering and I didn’t know where the numbers were on the map so I just marked random ones on the map.

By Max

I tenei ata I haere toku ropu ki runga I nga hoe waka. Tino tere taku haere! A muri I runga toku ropu I te BMX. Engari kaore I pirangi au me Rose ki te crash ki eathi mea. No reira I haere tonu maua ki runga I te confience course. Tino rawe tenei ra. Ka taea au ki te whakaha I te kakara o te kai mo te tina.

Na Rangipurei

Today I(Alicia) did the petanque with Ebony. We came first most of the time. We were the colour blue. After that we played golf. We watched Mrs Low play. Mrs Low went on the confidence course. I said, “are you alright?” and she said, “do I look alright!!’ and laughed. It was funny to watch. We went on the confidence course and we made it all the way except for postman’s walk.

By Ebony and Alicia

Mr Pooley:

I am disappointed that not enough people are getting muddy! That may change tomorrow when the team building activities get underway. It is very pleasing for me organising the camp to have parents willing to help out and be flexible with being moved around duties and activities. A big thanks to all our parent helpers.

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 07:54 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 35

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 06:01 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 35

It has been a fantastic day. We have a lot of very tired chidren and quite a few who still have plenty of energy. The kids will be heading out to the flying fox soon for their evening activity.

I am very impressed witht he quality of accomodation, food and activities. Everyone is being well looked after out here. It is the perfect place for the kids to try new things and get to know each other in a different context outside of school.

Groups are all working well together. It is wonderful to see them supporting each other and sharing responsibilty when participating in different activities.

I am sure they will have a lot to tell you about when they get home on Friday. We will keep blogging throughout the week and uploading photos. i am having a bit of trouble getting photos onto this page so you may find you have to click on a link to see most of them.

Have a great week.

Tracey Low

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 05:47 PM GMT+ 12 • comment (2) • Reads 32

This morning we went on the go carts first and the boys kept crashing. They were crashing because they were trying to be silly and trying to be the loopiest one. Warren kept telling them the silliest one would get a prize. They got nothing. He said the fastest would get a prize. They got a handshake for a prize instead.

After that we went to go on the abseiling and I was a little bit scared. Then Rosie went after me and she was really freaked out.

After that we went to the shooting of bow and arrows, archery, and I hit a target bull in the head. John got the target twice. Then it was morning tea time. After morning tea we went to build rafts. We built it and we tested it and everybody was falling in the water because James sat at the back and it flipped over and everybody fell off. Then we all got back on and he pushed everyone off again. And then it was lunch time.

After lunch we did the treasure hunt and found all the clues to solve the puzzle. After afternoon tea we went swimming in the lake. That’s when everybody went swimming. There was heaps of weed and people were doing a seaweed competition.

By Samantha

This morning we woke up really early, some time around 4 o’clock in the morning and stayed awake for five hours. We had breakfast then went to the confidence course. We didn’t all get through it. Deanna made it through without touching the ground.

“Mr Pooley was watching and when he turned around I just got through the post man’s walk so he didn’t see.”

After we did the confidence course we went to orienteering. We went into bushes and had to find these clipper things. We used a map of the camp to find where they were. We found all of the clipper things.

After that we went to petanque and there was four groups. Red, blue, orange and green. Red group was always winning and orange always came last (except for once). After petanque we had lunch then we went to the climbing tower and the climbing wall. It was easy for me (Deanna) but freaky for me (Aidan).

We went to the go cart track and I (Deanna) did the most crashes. I(Aidan) freaked out when Jackson was driving because one of the turns he did he flipped us up on the tyres, half way into the tree.  I (Aidan)n also freaked out at Ngahuia because she yelled at me for going down on the throttle too hard. She was screaming and banging on the chair yelling at me to stop.

Blade was in the cart with me (Deanna) and we flipped upside down. I was the driver.  Abbey was a risky driver because every time we went over the bumps I nearly fell out of my seat. Every time you crash you have to hop out of the cart and help push the cart over the bumps.

We had a free swim then dinner and now it is time for diary writing and bed time. We hope tonight we are going to be able to get to sleep easily. It has been a really busy and fun day.

By Deanna and Aidan

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 04:24 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

It was really sore when I went on the BMX. The handle bars went into my guts and I drove up two trees and crashed and then next I went up to a tyre and tried jumping and went blup onto it but it was a big crack up and everyone was laughing like Christa. I wasn’t using any brakes and I went off the course again. I had brakes but I didn’t want to use them cause they were to hard but the other times I kept on doing raakies around the corner. But Teina and Cheyenne never fell off once. They never ever fell off even once. I fell off twice and Christa fell off heaps and Josh didn’t want to do it any more cause he kept falling off. So did Maree. I just about ran my bike into the water but my tyre stopped me just in time. Cheyenne was the fasted on the BMX track but once I went straight past and crashed into her but she still went. It was crack up as when Christa kept on falling off. We all kept on laughing. Christa didn’t care. She laughed. Joshua and mare can’t do it any more so I have to take over their turn and I went fast as, faster than any of them but not Cheyenne though. It was a little bit awesome.

I kept on getting stuck in seaweed in kayaking. I kept on getting stuck on there. I drove up on shore and got stuck and Joshua had to swim over to mine and I had to swim over to his. I had to keep on backing up. There was too much seaweed. It was annoying as. I got out but then I had to get back in and floated up on shore.

Camp is getting funner every day. Especially the BMX track. It was fun. I thought it was going to get boringer and boringer but its getting funner and funner.

By Junior

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 02:42 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 33

My group went on the BMX track. It was mean cool. There were stumps in the way and a big tree on the track. There were heaps of tyres everywhere to stop you crashing into the trees and signs on the trees and the ground to show you where to go. Some people fell off and some people didn’t. There were heaps of bumps to go over.

The bikes were little and the pedals were hard. One flicked back and hurt my knee.

James was the fastest. He did the track in 29.1 seconds. I did it in 37.2 seconds.

By Brad

Our group went on the go carts and the boys though that they could be crazy so they crashed into the side tyres. I (Tiana) was the fastest girl at driving. Matthew was the fastest boy. The driver goes around then moves into the passenger seat and the next person gets to drive. We got to do 3 laps each turn. We had 3 turns at driving and 3 at being the passenger. Our teacher threw the tyres on the dirt track so we would crash. It was the best thing we have done today. We love the speed!

By Tiana and Rangipurei

We did the treasure hunt and me and Ella found most of the words. We got a prize for solving the problem. I got a Moro band and Ella got a Crunchie. We also made a raft this morning and got to test it out. We didn’t go around the pontoon like we supposed to. We crashed into the other side of the lake.

By Libby

I was really good at the BMX track today. I beat all the times for the day. I went around the track in 26 seconds. You have to go real fast and lean back on the corners so you don’t put weight onto the front of the bike and flip it over.  I liked the steep hill the best.

By Cheyenne

I still have the kayaks to go. I think it will be fun because you are in the water and you get to paddle around in the water. The treasure hunt has been good. We have found most of the clues but we need one more. Kansas said he had found I but Liam found out it was a different word. When we find all the words we give them to mark and we will get a prize.

Isobel

Today when we did the treasure hunt. I learned that it is much easier to work as a team to solve a problem than to work by your self. The problem we had was we needed to finish the treasure hunt to get a chocolate bar. We weren’t doing very well because we did not work as a team. We went in twos and we didn’t know which clues had been found so we were all looking for the same ones. I called my group in and showed them the ones we had found and the ones they had found. We figured out which clue we had to find then we set off to find it. Once we found it we had to work as a team to figure out where the words go in the sentence only using the words once. We worked it out and then went and told Mark. Then we got a chocolate bar each from Mark. PROBLEM SOLVED!

By Rose

When we come back from all our kayaking John Barry pushed me out of the kayak.  The water felt cold but it was fun. We called our kayak the banana kayak because it is yellow and black and it looks like a banana.

By Ngaio

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM GMT+ 12 • comment (1) • Reads 40

www.vuvox.com/presentations/02080eb657

This is an interactive presentation so when you clik on the link above enlarge the display to full screen so you can click on and move, enlarge or shrink photos in the display as you look at them.

Article posted March 2, 2010 at 08:26 AM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 35

[LINK]" rel="File-List" />

Libby and Ella are looking forward to kayaking the most. I am also looking forward to the confidence course. My goal is to be able to get over the big rope. I have been looking forward to the night walk for a long time. I t was one of my favourites last year.                                                     By Libby

Today I am looking forward to doing air rifles with my group.

By Shaun

Last night it was hot in our bedrooms even in our sleeping bags. We finally got to sleep but people woke us up early. I hope people will be quiet tonight and it is not so hot.

I am looking forward to all the fun activities today.

By Nature

I am just looking forward to getting to do the kayaking at the end of the day.

By Liam

Last night it was extremely hard to get to sleep because it was boiling. I can’t wait to do the go carts because I have never driven them.

By John

The boys were really noisy in their cabins so we couldn’t get to sleep. (ha ha not really). I am looking forward to having lots of fun with the teachers and parents today.

By Sam

Ko taku whainga I tenei ra, te mahi I te rere kuri me te mahi pu pere. He mea pai era ki maua.

Na Tiana raua ko Rangipurei

I am looking forward to bmx.

By Ebony

I am looking forward to go carts because they look really fun and fast.

By Max

I am looking forward to the flying fox because it goes fast down on string and it looks really cool.

By Keenan

Article posted March 1, 2010 at 06:01 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Today was the first day of camp. On the way to camp we stopped at the Atiamuri Dam and had morning tea. Mrs Low went staight to camp because she did not know where the dam  was and missed it. She found out and came back just as we were leaving.

First we got to the camp, had a tour and listended to the rules. Then we sorted out our dorms before having lunch. Camp started off pretty slow and then it got awesome.

We got to paddle a Maori waka doing waka ama. Matua Otts taught us how to paddle in time to a chant. We all learned the chant and said it together while we paddled. When we were out on the lake we saw heaps of carp. We could not swim today because the council had just sprayed the lake for lake weed.

We got to have free time after that. We played and rested. Some people played chess with giant pieces, some played swing ball. Other people played mini golf. I cleaned my dorm with my group so we would be organised and tidy.

We got put into our activity groups for the week then had a Top Town challenge. We did crate stacking.  We had to buid towers out of crates. We had two people sack races, golf ball and spoon races, a wheel barrow challenge, the chicken soup challenge, a three preson gumboot challenge, pig whistle throwing and a horse shoe challenge. We don't now what team won yet. We don't know the point results.

We have just had nachos for dinner. We had pancakes with fruit salad and cream for pudding. It was very delicious. We are doing our camp diary writing now then we will go and do the flying fox later.

It's been the most fun day we have had this year. We are not sure how well we are going to sleep tonight with all the excitement.

By Ngaio

camp day 1 by you.

camp day 1 093 by you.

camp day 1 154 by you.

Article posted February 28, 2010 at 08:25 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Welcome students, parents, friends and family to Room 11's Blog for 2010. Here we will share what we are doing, thinking and planning. You will be able to keep up with what is happening. Tomorrow, Monday 1st March, we are going to Whakamaru on our Year 5/6 camp. It is going to be filled with fun, learning and new friendships. We will post photos and reflections on our blog next week when we get back. Keep an eye out for our camp recounts too. Have a great week everyone. Mrs Low

Room 11 2010

Years 5 and 6 spent a week at Camp Whakamaru. This blog is a record of our experiences for sharing with family and friends.