Copyright (c) 2014 by Tracey Low Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Tracey Low -- Blogmeister

Camp Whakamaru

by Tracey Low

Rotokawa School
Photos from Isobel's mum

Article posted March 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 189

Camp Whakamaru

Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 01:09 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 41

Students -Please complete the camp survey that you will find by clicking on the link below. We value your feedback.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XV5FLNY

Click on the link on the left of the page to see more photos from camp. Thanks to Isobel and her mum.

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 09:27 AM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 64

I tenei ra i timata toku roopu ki runga i tetahi activity ko te raft building. I mahi toku roopu ki te ata. I te wa i purua matau ki roto i te wai i rakaru i te wa i haere matou ki roto i te wai i te timata ki te pakaru. I te wa i pakaru te mea katoa i haramai tetahi tangata ko tona ingoa ko Grant, ara i timata ki te haramai a Teina me Eriata ki ring ki tetahi tube,. He pai ahau ki tera activity.

I tenei po kei te haere matou mo tetahi night walko.  Kei te haere nga tau rima ki wainganui i te 8:30 me te 9:00 me kei te haere nga tau ono ki te 9:00. Kei te harikoa ahau na te mea i te tatari ahau mai i tera tau ki te mahi nga tau ono night walk.

I mahi a matou i etahi activities ka koreo ko te team building he pai ahau ki te Axid River na te mea i taka ahau i roto me  i te kata ahau me toku roopu.

I muri i tera i mahi etahi tangata te Tarzan swing te kauhoe i te tuatahi ara i haere ahau e wha nga wa he tino rawe ahau ki tera activity.

Te mutunga!

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 09:13 AM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

Deanna - Good morning everyone. We are going back to school today. We have cleaned our dorms and got our packed lunch. Everyone is down at the flying fox for one last turn before we go home.

Abbey -It is very quite and everyone is sleepy. When Mr Pooley came to wake us I felt like I was still dreaming.

Deanna – I was firs in line on the Burma Trail. It was fun. There was a big cave and lots of obstacles.

Abbey - And cave and rocks and I stubbed my toe on a rock.

Rihare – It was cool at camp and I really like it. And last night at the bush walk it was cool going through the cave. I could just fit in it. When I was going down I went to kick my foot hard and the rocks fell down and I kept donging my head. 

I was telling funny stories about food like spaghetti cookies and baked bean onions. (all the stuff that was yuck) and when we come back it was dumb because we had to go to bed.

Mrs Low- It was 10:15pm!

Henry – Today we are leaving. We are going to go back to school and I can’t wait to spread all the news with my friends and I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed. I am homesick for my bed.

John – I enjoyed shooting the slug gun before and I knocked down the rat two times. My best memory of camp is going to be how good the night walk was in Year 6.

Dylana – Last night we went on the night walk which was quite scary. We had to wait for people to go through the little crack between the rocks which was quite fun because I like going through tight spaces. There was lots of hills and trees in our way and Mikey kept on bumping in to them and people were hiding in the bushes and scaring people. We had three tunnels but my favourite one had to be the one that went straight down and you had to squeeze through a tight space. When I was going through the tight space I fell through and donked my head. Dianne went after me and had to help me find a parent because my head was throbbing. When we came out through the little tunnel at the end Mrs Low got stuck.

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:38 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 43

I tenei ata I timata matou ki te mahi treasure hunt. Ko to mahi me te titiro ki te pepa, me te whakaaro kei heat era wahi? I te wa kei kora koe pea he kupu ki tera wahi. Ko te kupu tuatahi I kimi matous ko te kupu ‘to’. A muri ko te “must” A muri I tera I mahi matou he rerenga korero. Ko a matou rerenga korero ko te, “You must put these tricky words in order to win this game”. He maama ma matou hei mahi.

A muri I tera I haere nga tamariki katoa ki runga I te whira mo te “Wai Runga Taone” E waru nga hei mahi. Ka mahi matou mo te whakataetae. I haere maku katoa. A muri tera I mahi matou he whawhai wai.

Mo te mahi a roopu he mahi uaua engari I mahi matou nga mea katoa.

A muri I tera i haere ahau ki te Tarzan swing. (Caleb). I te wa I tae mai ahau ki te rarangi mo te Tarzan swing. He roa te rarangi na te mea I te pirangi mahanga tangata ki te haere ki runga.  I te wa tatari ahau I haere au ki te tiki oku kakahu kaukau na te mea I wareware au ki te purua ki runga

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:37 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 32

In the morning we did the climbing wall. I got up half way and then I got scared. John, Jack and James went up and got scared coming back down the wall. Rosie had trouble because of her cast and Henry got really scared but he did it.

After that we did Water Top Town. We got third. Then we had a swim in the lake. It was really cold. Then we did Team Building. John, Rosie, Isobel and James all fell in and Jack and John were throwing Johns wet t-shirt. John threw it at Jack and then Jack threw it at John at his head and then he fell over and it was funny.

Then we did another free time and I got to do a free swim on a raft. I built myself a raft. Today I had a really fun day.

By Sam

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:36 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 36

Abbey -Today we did BMX.

Deanna - I crashed a few times.

Abbey - I was going too slow. Blade had the fastest time around the track. He did it in 26 seconds. Then we did Water Top Town. There was a big water fight and everyone got wet. Then we went on to the team building and when we were crossing the log by the broken bridge everyone in our group jumped in and got soaked. Then I went on the Tarzan swing. Then Deanna went on the nature walk and she saw the Burma trail rope.

Deanna - On the nature walk we walk over a hill by a river. Now we are going to the Burma trail.

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 06:35 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 36

This morning my group did the rock climb and when I got to the top it was really scary. The harness gave me a wedgey. The short one was quite hard because there wasn’t enough pegs on the wall.

When we did the Wet Top Town our group came third but I thought we would come first. I liked the sponge throwing cause I got Tom and Tony and Jamie in the face with heaps of sponges. I like the water fight at the end because I got Mr Pooley with heaps and heaps of sponges and Warren.

On the team building the wall climb was quite hard, but it was fun. Isobel, who was in our group, was the last person down there so she didn’t get to the top of the wall in time. I also like the ‘thread the needle’ activity because we had Rosie in our group and she is very tall. With the blown up bridge I pushed John in and then I was happy.

The best thing of the day was the Tarzan swing because I got 10 turns. Maree just about didn’t let go and Blade and I got really freaked out.

I really liked the pudding tonight because it was Pavlova. That is one of my favourites.

By Henry

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 04:12 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Wow.. My first camp since I was 12 years old & I am having a blast.   I have seen my kids abseiling which is something I thought I would never see, since one in particular is very fearful of heights (a real high for all of us).   I am so glad I took the time to see & participate in activities that I wouldn’t have done at home. I will definitely be back next year. 

By Amanda Dorrell

It’s great to be here, (its Thursday and I’ve just arrived today so have missed out on lots of the fun!!!!. This is our 4th child to experience camp here from Rotokawa School and for all of them the memories are very special…and unique, especially their first camp.   Even though the children are tired from a full week it’s great to see them trying new things and working together so well.   I am so pleased that I can be here to experience some of these special times with Maree and all the children. 

Shirley Brown

Article posted March 4, 2010 at 04:11 PM GMT+ 12 • comment • Reads 34

Just before we did lots of activities like the Acid River, the Blown Up Bridge, the Spider Web and lots more. The one I liked the best was the Acid River. First you had to get the rope and then swing across the Acid River to the other side without falling in because it was an acid river and acid is bad.

We all did it then we were just swinging in for fun. Krista went across and she fell in when she was trying to get up onto the other side and her hat fell in the water and so did mine.

On the climbing wall we didn’t get our team members all up. Cheyenne put their knees down so you could get up and one person was at the top so they could reach down and help you up. I climbed up the chain and then someone else tried then they said, “no you’re not allow to go on then chain,” so I said, “Me? I didn’t got on the chain!”

I was first to get down. I had to hang off the wall and let go and jump the rest of the way so I wouldn’t hit the wall. My team did my technique to get down except we had to help Meghan down.

I didn’t do the blown up bridge because there was not enough time left and Krista and her friend didn’t go fast because they couldn’t get the next part of the bridge.

I am having lots of fun. I am a bit tired but I still want to do the Tarzan swing.

By Maree

Room 11 2010

Years 5 and 6 spent a week at Camp Whakamaru. This blog is a record of our experiences for sharing with family and friends.