Copyright (c) 2014 by Evan Gillis Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Evan Gillis -- Blogmeister

Fair Trade Facts
Fractions
Measurment

Article posted March 25, 2011 at 08:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 601

I took my camera to school and took pictures on St. Patrick’s Day and on a regular school Day. Most of the pictures I took are YR4. On St.Patrick’s day we did a lot of things. Miss. Judge painted our faces “GO GREEN!” or “St.Patricks day!!” We took group pictures and more. In I.C.T. we are comparing airlines. You can see some of the pictures of us doing i.c.t. You can also view

Some of the pictures of our class too!

I hope you enjoy them!!

Nina

4LEG

Article posted February 4, 2011 at 07:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 52

SCHOOL RESUMES ON MONDAY!

Online Learning: Literacy Friday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

First think of a story or short novel that you have read recently. Did you like the book? What was it about? Who were the main characters? What were some of the problems in the story? How were they solved? Write a summary of this story in your draft book. Remember, do not erase or use a dictionary yet. We will work with this next week during book week.

Next, using the A3 Paper that you got on Monday, make a poster of the book that you wrote about. Your poster should include:

a)      Name of Author

b)      Name of Book

c)       Name of Illustrator (If Known)

d)      Name and Class on the Back

e)      A border around the Picture

These posters and all other literacy work including spelling and grammar is due on Monday

Online Learning Mathematics Friday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

Please use this time to make sure that all of the scratch your Brain problems are finished and that all Abacus work is done. Also use the time to work on your posters for Book Week (see above).

Article posted February 3, 2011 at 06:28 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 56

Online Learning: Literacy Thursday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

Watch Making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs one last time then add any final details to your mind map for the instructions part. Today, in your draft book write out the entire writing piece (first draft) with an introduction, what you need and instructions section.  Remember at this stage DO NOT look up words in the dictionary, DO NOT ERASE. When you are finished with your draft, re read it. Does it make sense?

After you feel that you have got a good first draft, then spend time working on spelling and grammar.

Online Learning Mathematics Thursday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

1)      Scratch your Brain Exercise. These should be worked out on scratch paper and the answer should be sent to my email address mrgillisbism@gmail.com by 10am tomorrow. These are meant to be very challenging. You may need to spend a long time on each problem. Don’t give up and email me if you have any questions.

a)      There are exactly 11 people in a room, and each person shakes hands with every other person in the room. When person A shakes with person B, B is also shaking with A. That counts as ONE handshake. How many handshakes will there be when everyone is finished shaking hands with everyone else? Explain your answer.

b)      What is the smallest number of marbles when:

a.       Grouping by 4s leaves 2 extra

b.      Grouping by 5s leaves 1 extra

c.       And more than 10 marbles are in the collection

2)      Abacus Math (Symmetry) Page 27 28 AND 29. Do not do the owl.

Article posted February 2, 2011 at 06:16 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 55

Online Learning: Literacy Wednesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

Watch Making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs again then add more details to your mind map for the instructions part . Today, start thinking about what you will say in your introduction. Are you going to write about why cooking is important? Are you going to write about what how it can be a fun activity to do with a family member? Once you outlined some ideas on your mind then write an introduction draft in your draft book. This is the one that I wrote, but remember, you need do your own work.

Mr. Gillis’s Introduction

Making scrambled eggs are easy and fun to make and a great way to start a Saturday Morning with your mom or dad. It is also very important to learn how to cook because when you get older you will have to cook for yourself.

After you feel that you have got all of the things you need for making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs then spend time working on spelling and grammar.

Online Learning Mathematics Wednesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

1)      Abacus Page 10-12 in Math Exercise Books

2)      Scratch your Brain Exercise. These should be worked out on scratch paper and the answer should be sent to my email address mrgillisbism@gmail.com by 10am tomorrow. These are meant to be very challenging. You may need to spend a long time on each problem. Don’t give up and email me if you have any questions.

Suppose students arrive at school in groups. You are the first to arrive and you are alone but still considered a group. (You are a group of one).Each group that arrives has more people in it. The second group to arrive has three people in it- two more people in it than are in your group. The third group has five people in it- two more people than are in the second group. If there are 625 children at your school on this day, how many groups will arrive at school, assuming they all meet the requirement of having two more members than the one before them? Also write an explanation for your answer.

Every hour, on the hour, a bus leaves town A and heads toward town B. Every hour, on the hour, another bus leaves  town b and heads toward town A. The trip between the two towns takes exactly two hours. How many buses going from town A to town B will the people on a bus going from town B to town A see during their trip? Assume there are no accidents or delays and that all busses are on time leaving and arriving. Also write an explanation for your answer.

Article posted February 1, 2011 at 06:31 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 58

Online Learning: Literacy Tuesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group.

Watch Making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs. The link is below. Today look at all of the things you need to make baked bacon and scrambled eggs and write them down in your draft book . There are lots of things that you need so you will have to watch the video more than once. Some of the more difficult words things you need ( and should be on your list include:

Aluminum Foil-what you put the uncooked bacon on

Broiler: Like a pan but you put it in the oven. The aluminum foil covers this.

Paper Towel

[LINK]

Online Learning: Mathematics Tuesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group.

Abacus Pages 3-9 in Math Exercise Books

If you have any questions make sure to email me.

Article posted January 31, 2011 at 04:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 54

Welcome back to school. There has been lots going on in the past few weeks. More about this soon! However, take a journey with Nina, Virginia and thier film crew to see all of the cool stuff in our classroom!

4LEG Class Tour January 2011 from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Article posted December 14, 2010 at 08:38 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 53

Article posted December 5, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 50

As part of our year four citizenship unit on community, we went to the Indonesian Embassy to find out the purpose of an Embassy in a Capital City. We really learned a lot, such as how visas are made and what an ambassador and diplomats do. Some of us even got to sit in the Ambassador's Chair!

Year Four also saw some cultural performances and dances and got to eat Indonesian food. Our favorite was the Nasi Gorang! A special thank you to Pak Hamid; The Ambassador of Indonesia to Russia and all of the embassy staff for making us feel welcome!

Article posted November 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 61

4LEG CLASS RAP

Our Class is good, It's covered in mud,A boy with big glasses, A girl with long eyelashes, A girl with long hair, A boy that likes to stare, A girl named Rose, A boy with a big nose, A girl with a big hat, A boy that has a rat, A girl that kicks the ground, A boy that messes around, We have lots of rooms, Some ladies with brooms, A boy whose name is Jack, A girl who has a sack, I think thats all! IT's Time for the MALL!!

By Dan Young, Nina, Alisa and Seo Hyun

Article posted November 8, 2010 at 08:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 52

We had lots of fun in math today with a standing jump contest. Nina will explain the activity in her video below!

Measuring Length from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

More and More Writing! from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

As we finish our habitat unit, it is amazing how much we have learned about plants, animals and their extremely complex relationships with one another. In the coming weeks, we plan on using this knowledge to initiate action in our local community about how we can sustain the habitats on our planet. Some of our groups already have ideas about what they might want to do. In the meantime, sit back, relax and enjoy one of our group’s video presentations and pictures on their very extensive habitat poster!

Habitats: End of Unit Presentation from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Its hard to believe we are almost finished with our second unit of inquiry! In our first unit, “Building A Learning Community” students learned the importance of using good group work skills. We worked on methods for how this takes place and we learned how to value each other’s intelligences. As part of our unit on Habits, we not only have explored the relationships different plants and animals have with one another, we looked at the effect Humans have had on different habitats. In this video, students have used the scientific method to discover how food chains are integrated in a freshwater habitat. Have a look!

Untitled from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Article posted September 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

The past few years I have been the facilitator and advisor of the school council. Even though it is the beginning of the year, our school council runs efficiently and effectively. Our primary responsibility is representing students’ voices in our school. We also work on special event days like Earth Day. In this meeting, the school council has called an emergency meeting; on their own; to try to resolve a problem with key stage one and two recess times.

Lance Evan Gillis

School Council at Work from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 06:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 40

Math Groupwork September 2010 from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 05:33 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

In Mr. Gillis’s Math Group we have a very high level of math smarts. Not only do we learn new math concepts from the British New Primary Framework, we also work in math teams to solve challenging critical thinking math problems. We really care about using good group work body language and we make sure everyone has a voice in the group. Sometimes, this even includes getting on top of tables!

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 05:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

It really is amazing that we are more than half way through September. For many of us, that first day of school already seems like a long way away. To start, we should introduce ourselves; we are the fantastic 4LEG class at The British International School of Moscow, Russia. Our teacher Mr. Gillis comes from the United States and we come from as far away as Indonesia and as near as Moscow. We also have students from Vietnam, China, Korea, The United Kingdom, The United States, Egypt, Finland Romania, Turkey and Mongolia. We are committed to celebrating diversity in our learning community! Check back often for video clips, pictures and interactive activities from our blog!

Article posted March 9, 2010 at 05:16 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 147

As part of our unit on Stories form Different Cultures, we are learning about Aboriginal Dreamtime Stories. You will need to read and summarise at least two dreamtime stories. Use word to create the document then copy and paste each summary in your blog. Each summary should be two paragraphs. The links below will help you find some stories. Project Due Date: Monday 15th March.

http://www.dreamtime.net.au/dreaming/storylist.htm

http://www.didjshop.com/Aboriginal_Art/rock_paintings.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00747/dreaming/dreaming.html

http://abc.net.au/message/dustechoes/wagalak/

I summarized the Rainbow Snake. Below is my summary.

Last Friday, our class read the dreamtime story called "The Rainbow Snake." The story was about an aboriginal spirit that comes to a small village in Australia. The spirit comes into the village in the shape of a rainbow in the sky. From the rainbow he transfers into a snake. At first the villagers like the snake as he sings and dances with the people. This was referred as the "Happy Time." The Rainbow Snake also protected the town from intruders and danger.

One day however, the rainbow snake fell asleep near the village and was breathing with his mouth open. Three boys from the village who were on a hunt for food thought that the snake was the entrance to a cave. However, they were mistaken. Little did they know that the this was the Rainbow Snake's Mouth. By then it was too late. The Rainbow Snake swallowed the boys and there was no chance of escape. The rainbow snake apologised to the villagers but he was not forgiven. The villagers tried to kill the Rainbow Snake. However the rainbow snake got very upset and attacked the villagers. There was not a happy ending in this dreamtime story.

Article posted March 5, 2010 at 09:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 42

In art, we will begin learning about some of the great impressionists artists of the early 1900's.Impressionist art is a style in which the artist captures the image of an object as someone would see it if they just caught a glimpse of it. They paint the pictures with a lot of color and most of their pictures are outdoor scenes. Their pictures are very bright and vibrant. The artists like to capture their images without detail but with bold colors. Some of the greatest impressionist artists were Edouard Manet, Camille Pissaro, Edgar Degas, Alfred Sisley, Claude Monet, Berthe Morisot and Pierre Auguste Renoir.

We also made our own impressionist paintings based on famous fairytale characters such as Cinderella or Snow White. Have a look!

Mixbook - Create Beautiful Photo Books and Scrapbooks! | View Sample Photo Books | Create your own Photo Book

Article posted February 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 51

Article posted January 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 42

Spring Term News

In this article I have included many of the subjects and discovery based units we will be working on during the spring term in year four. While very informational, it is also important to have discussions with your children about what they are doing in school on a regular basis.

Mathematics:

We will continue to progress with a variety of operational units which will include using mental math strategies to solve three digit addition and subtraction problems as well as do increasingly more difficult multiplication and division problems with two and three digit numbers. We will also extend our knowledge of solid and flat shapes and learn about the capacity of objects.

Literacy:

So far this term we have been working on our unit on explanations. For this unit we made instructions for a game we created and interviewed the head teacher and various other teachers to find out what their jobs entail. We are now working on writing about these jobs in an explanation report. In the coming weeks we will also be reading stories from other cultures and learning how to better use instructional texts such as timetables, maps and charts in everyday life.

Inquiry:

Currently we are learning about the solids, liquids and gases and have done several experiments that test their properties. We will also be learning about how to locate some of the elements in the periodic table, such as carbon, oxygen and hydrogen, and why elements are important in our daily lives. We will also be doing a history unit this term, learning about some of the great explorers from the various nationalities represented in our class.

PE:

Just a reminder that PE is Mondays. All children need to bring their PE kit each week. Our unit on Gymnastics will continue through the half term. After the holiday we will be starting a new unit learning about net ball and wall games.

Article posted January 23, 2010 at 06:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 35

As part of our inquiry unit on Solids Liquids and gases we experimented with trying to dissolve several solids incuding sand, sugar and salt. At the end of the experiment and after learning about the absorption properties of water, students were given the challange of trying to seperate a mixture of salt and sand. Take a look!

Dissolving Solids from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Dear Students and Parents,

Have a wonderful winter holiday, get lots of rest and play and be ready for school Monday 11th January, 2010.

Also please note that if you posted an article on your blog, I will not be able to approve it until I return to Moscow in January. Please do not post an article multiple times.

LEG

Article posted December 15, 2009 at 09:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

It's the middle of winter but Its getting Hot Hot Hot in 4LEG. In our Science unit, not only have we been experimenting with using thermometers to measure weather conditions, we have also been learning about which materials make good insulators and conductors. Metals make good conductors and are used for heating food, while materials like plastic make excellent insulators and are good for maintaining a food or liquid's temperature. We also did a science investigation where we measured hot water in a variety of different storage containers and discovered that plastic is the best material for keeping liquids hot or cold.

Article posted December 15, 2009 at 08:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

Imagine that you were an early explorer. Write a story about how you explored a new area without any help from maps. What did you use to help guide your way, did you ever get lost, did you invent anything to help yourself.

In order to establish leadership roles and good teamwork skills, most group work projects have assigned roles for students. They include a project coordinator who liaises with all groups to give ideas and suggestions, a project manager for each team as well as team members, who have specific jobs and tasks within the group work assignment. Team members report to the project managers, and the project managers’ report to the project coordinator. The project managers and coordinator may have to resolve conflicts if they arise. All students must use good group work language. Have a look at this clip!

Project Manager Meeting Dec 09 from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Come with us as we have a discussion about the chapter book we are currently reviewing. Before our group meets, we prepare by for our session by writing down our thoughts about what we have read, we make predictions and are ready to discuss any words we may not be familiar with. An ongoing task for this group has been working on how to give a short verbal summary of what we have read.

4 LEG Literature Circle December 2009 from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Take a Video Tour of Our Class! It seems like a short time ago when we started school, but we have done so much! I can't believe it is only 4 weeks until winter recess!

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 05:59 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 40

This week in school we have been working with measurement using millimeters, centimeters, meters and kilometers. The hard part has been converting millimeters to centimeters and centimeters to meters. With a parent at home open the measurement link on the left hand side of the blog and play the measurement game. Then write an article on your blog talking about what kind of units that you would measure for different objects and why.

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 05:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 37

Every year in October we have a fantastic celebration called International Day. Not only do we learn about respecting other cultures and differences, we dress up in our historical national costumes and bring in different foods and recipes from our own countries. Everyone goes home with very full bellies! Here are some pictures of our year four class along with our Deputy Head Mr. Obrien and School Head Teacher Mr. Madely.

Article posted September 18, 2009 at 01:21 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 44

Well here we are, back for another fun year of playing, learning and working together. It is nice to see many of the same faces return from last year, and it is especially nice to welcome out new students from other parts of the world.

4LEG is truly international as we have children from many different countires including Korea, Japan, Mongolia, Nepal, India, Vietnam, Malaysia, The United Kingdom as well as children from our host country Russia.

I am sure it is going to be a fun, fantastic Year Four Kind of a Year.

Lance Evan Gillis

Article posted June 4, 2009 at 06:51 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 43

Мисс Ольга,Мисс Анна и Мисс Светлана преподают русский язык в 3м классе для детей, чьим родным языком является русский, а также для детей, для которых русский язык является не родным. Кроме того наши учителя дают уроки русской культуры, что помогает нашим детям больше узнать о стране, в которой они живут.

Miss Olga, Miss anna and Miss Svetlana are teaching Russian in year 3 for the native russian children an also for the children who are learning Russian as a foreign language. Our teachers are also teaching Russian Culture that helps our children to know more about the country where they are living.

Article posted June 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 34

Article posted June 1, 2009 at 10:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

We have been having so much fum with our plants that we have decided to have a plant team in Mr. Gillis's class. They will now be called Mr. Gillis's Gardners. The gardners have been growing more plants such as sunflowers and even red hot chillies. On one pot we decided to put some common weed seeds in with the red chile plants to see what will happen.

Mrs. Dickinson is from South Africa and has had years of teaching experience primarily working in South Africa and Botswana. This is her first year teaching in Moscow and really loved to see all of the snow in the winter.

Mr. Gillis is from the United States and has worked in international education in many countries and regions including Thailand, Korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong and now Moscow Russia. He likes Moscow because there is a lot to do but unlike Mrs. Dickinson, he hates the long cold winters!

After several weeks of looking at blogs and practicing how to log on and off, our year three class is finally starting to write simple blogs. Both Classes will be continuing thier blogs with Mrs Dickinson and Mr. Gillis next year so it is a wonderful way to see us grow and develop.

Speaking of growing and development, with the help of Mr. Cuthbert in year two, who has had a garden in the UK for more than ten years, this was the first year that Mr. Gillis has ever had his plants grow! He is really excited! Below are some pictures of his students' plants.

Article posted April 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

I am happy to announce that our class is finally able to start our own blog site. I have removed all of the blogging material from the class I used to teach at in Hong Kong, but my old students will still be able to access their blog from last year.

It is an exciting time here at BIS Moscow as it is now spring, the weather is nice and people are now able to enjoy all of the parks and exciting spring and summer events in the city.

We are also doing lots of fun stuff at school including learning what makes plants grow, and we recently did a large map display of the city of Moscow.

As this is a new blog, feel free to come back soon and check out what some of the students have to say and make some of your own comments on the way.

Lance Evan Gillis

Year Three/Four Teacher

The British International School of Moscow

My Name is Lance Evan Gillis. I have a broad range of teaching experience in international primary education having taught in Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and now Moscow, Russia.

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Free Blog Content