Copyright (c) 2014 by Evan Gillis Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Evan Gillis -- Blogmeister

Fair Trade Facts
Fractions
Measurment

Article posted March 25, 2011 at 08:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 467

I took my camera to school and took pictures on St. Patrick’s Day and on a regular school Day. Most of the pictures I took are YR4. On St.Patrick’s day we did a lot of things. Miss. Judge painted our faces “GO GREEN!” or “St.Patricks day!!” We took group pictures and more. In I.C.T. we are comparing airlines. You can see some of the pictures of us doing i.c.t. You can also view

Some of the pictures of our class too!

I hope you enjoy them!!

Nina

4LEG

Article posted February 4, 2011 at 07:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

SCHOOL RESUMES ON MONDAY!

Online Learning: Literacy Friday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

First think of a story or short novel that you have read recently. Did you like the book? What was it about? Who were the main characters? What were some of the problems in the story? How were they solved? Write a summary of this story in your draft book. Remember, do not erase or use a dictionary yet. We will work with this next week during book week.

Next, using the A3 Paper that you got on Monday, make a poster of the book that you wrote about. Your poster should include:

a)      Name of Author

b)      Name of Book

c)       Name of Illustrator (If Known)

d)      Name and Class on the Back

e)      A border around the Picture

These posters and all other literacy work including spelling and grammar is due on Monday

Online Learning Mathematics Friday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

Please use this time to make sure that all of the scratch your Brain problems are finished and that all Abacus work is done. Also use the time to work on your posters for Book Week (see above).

Article posted February 3, 2011 at 06:28 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 45

Online Learning: Literacy Thursday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

Watch Making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs one last time then add any final details to your mind map for the instructions part. Today, in your draft book write out the entire writing piece (first draft) with an introduction, what you need and instructions section.  Remember at this stage DO NOT look up words in the dictionary, DO NOT ERASE. When you are finished with your draft, re read it. Does it make sense?

After you feel that you have got a good first draft, then spend time working on spelling and grammar.

Online Learning Mathematics Thursday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

1)      Scratch your Brain Exercise. These should be worked out on scratch paper and the answer should be sent to my email address mrgillisbism@gmail.com by 10am tomorrow. These are meant to be very challenging. You may need to spend a long time on each problem. Don’t give up and email me if you have any questions.

a)      There are exactly 11 people in a room, and each person shakes hands with every other person in the room. When person A shakes with person B, B is also shaking with A. That counts as ONE handshake. How many handshakes will there be when everyone is finished shaking hands with everyone else? Explain your answer.

b)      What is the smallest number of marbles when:

a.       Grouping by 4s leaves 2 extra

b.      Grouping by 5s leaves 1 extra

c.       And more than 10 marbles are in the collection

2)      Abacus Math (Symmetry) Page 27 28 AND 29. Do not do the owl.

Article posted February 2, 2011 at 06:16 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

Online Learning: Literacy Wednesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

Watch Making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs again then add more details to your mind map for the instructions part . Today, start thinking about what you will say in your introduction. Are you going to write about why cooking is important? Are you going to write about what how it can be a fun activity to do with a family member? Once you outlined some ideas on your mind then write an introduction draft in your draft book. This is the one that I wrote, but remember, you need do your own work.

Mr. Gillis’s Introduction

Making scrambled eggs are easy and fun to make and a great way to start a Saturday Morning with your mom or dad. It is also very important to learn how to cook because when you get older you will have to cook for yourself.

After you feel that you have got all of the things you need for making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs then spend time working on spelling and grammar.

Online Learning Mathematics Wednesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group

1)      Abacus Page 10-12 in Math Exercise Books

2)      Scratch your Brain Exercise. These should be worked out on scratch paper and the answer should be sent to my email address mrgillisbism@gmail.com by 10am tomorrow. These are meant to be very challenging. You may need to spend a long time on each problem. Don’t give up and email me if you have any questions.

Suppose students arrive at school in groups. You are the first to arrive and you are alone but still considered a group. (You are a group of one).Each group that arrives has more people in it. The second group to arrive has three people in it- two more people in it than are in your group. The third group has five people in it- two more people than are in the second group. If there are 625 children at your school on this day, how many groups will arrive at school, assuming they all meet the requirement of having two more members than the one before them? Also write an explanation for your answer.

Every hour, on the hour, a bus leaves town A and heads toward town B. Every hour, on the hour, another bus leaves  town b and heads toward town A. The trip between the two towns takes exactly two hours. How many buses going from town A to town B will the people on a bus going from town B to town A see during their trip? Assume there are no accidents or delays and that all busses are on time leaving and arriving. Also write an explanation for your answer.

Article posted February 1, 2011 at 06:31 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 50

Online Learning: Literacy Tuesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group.

Watch Making Baked Bacon and Scrambled Eggs. The link is below. Today look at all of the things you need to make baked bacon and scrambled eggs and write them down in your draft book . There are lots of things that you need so you will have to watch the video more than once. Some of the more difficult words things you need ( and should be on your list include:

Aluminum Foil-what you put the uncooked bacon on

Broiler: Like a pan but you put it in the oven. The aluminum foil covers this.

Paper Towel

http://www.5min.com/Video/Baked-Bacon-and-Super-Scrambled-Eggs-Recipe-251790329

Online Learning: Mathematics Tuesday: Mr. Gillis’s Group.

Abacus Pages 3-9 in Math Exercise Books

If you have any questions make sure to email me.

Article posted January 31, 2011 at 04:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Welcome back to school. There has been lots going on in the past few weeks. More about this soon! However, take a journey with Nina, Virginia and thier film crew to see all of the cool stuff in our classroom!

4LEG Class Tour January 2011 from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

Article posted December 14, 2010 at 08:38 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

Article posted December 5, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 40

As part of our year four citizenship unit on community, we went to the Indonesian Embassy to find out the purpose of an Embassy in a Capital City. We really learned a lot, such as how visas are made and what an ambassador and diplomats do. Some of us even got to sit in the Ambassador's Chair!

Year Four also saw some cultural performances and dances and got to eat Indonesian food. Our favorite was the Nasi Gorang! A special thank you to Pak Hamid; The Ambassador of Indonesia to Russia and all of the embassy staff for making us feel welcome!

Article posted November 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 57

4LEG CLASS RAP

Our Class is good, It's covered in mud,A boy with big glasses, A girl with long eyelashes, A girl with long hair, A boy that likes to stare, A girl named Rose, A boy with a big nose, A girl with a big hat, A boy that has a rat, A girl that kicks the ground, A boy that messes around, We have lots of rooms, Some ladies with brooms, A boy whose name is Jack, A girl who has a sack, I think thats all! IT's Time for the MALL!!

By Dan Young, Nina, Alisa and Seo Hyun

Article posted November 8, 2010 at 08:22 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

We had lots of fun in math today with a standing jump contest. Nina will explain the activity in her video below!

Measuring Length from Lance Evan Gillis on Vimeo.

My Name is Lance Evan Gillis. I have a broad range of teaching experience in international primary education having taught in Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and now Moscow, Russia.

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Free Blog Content